Thread: Pros and cons of carbide tools

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    There's certainly a lot of different ones out there. Perhaps the first, and perhaps the best, (IMHO anyway) are the ones from Easy Wood Tools. They're made in the USA and a sister company also makes the carbide inserts here in the USA. They're kind of pricey, but you said that quality is more important. Excellent customer service too, they answer the phone when you call.
    "Only a rich man can afford cheap tools, as he needs to buy them again and again"

I primarily use HSS tools but I do have a couple of Easy Wood tools. Not my favorite for a lot of things but every now and then it seems to bail me out so I just consider it one of the things to have in the tool arsenal just in case. They do a scraping cut and they must be very sharp for best results.
    The Hunter carbide tools seem to be very well regarded and I think are capable of a shearing cut. I would investigate them.

I have 5 of the Easy Wood tools and think they work great.... never had any issues with them.

Some part of me doesn't like the concept of 'throw away' tools. With the carbide cutters, they can be touched up, but they never get back to good as new. Most are scrapers, but the Hunter tools are cutters which cut at a sheer angle so you get good finish cuts. With the other cutters, since they are flat, at best, they are difficult to get good clean finish cuts with. Scrapers do have their place though, and are my favorite tool for roughing out bowls. You do need to learn gouge skills, and even I as a bowl turner can do a fair job with a skew. The carbide tools are efficient little scrapers, and size doesn't really make a difference with scrapers. I don't like any scraper bigger than 1 inch wide.

robo hippy

I don't use them and have never been in a situation where I couldn't make a certain cut without them.
    They may have their place for some but I personally don't have a need to have any.