Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: L & JG Stickley values

Rick

As stated everything is cyclical, but with Stickley furniture there is an entire history to learn to determine what the value of any single item can be.
    The bookcase you looked at may be a Stickley 112 for instance, but who made it,where, and when, can have a dramatic effect on it's price. A lot of Stickley furniture was made through the years. There is no shortage of it.
    That said, If you're looking at an original Stickley 112 for example, for $1K, that's a very good deal. The new reproduction model is $2500.00 and they're being sold.
    The new generation is looking for the more efficient, sleek look, but how many of us painted cinder blocks and sandwiched boards between the blocks to build wall units when we were in our 20's, or had futon couches and beds, framed posters, etc.. Our taste, and buying power increased as we got older, and we bought more refined furnishings.Sometimes I think back to how our apartment was furnished when we were in out 20's and it's embarrassing.The "new generation" will be the same.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

This too shall pass. Some things will stand the test of time and will become more valued and valuable over the next several hundred years, others will turn out to have been fads or just bad ideas and will disappear. I'm willing to bet that avocado green electric ranges will never be coming back while some of the elaborate Merritt & O'Keefe ranges of just a few years earlier will continue to be lovingly restored by enthusiasts and find their way into museums. Likewise furniture that is solid and workmanlike will be used until it fails and then tossed out while furniture that is well made but has inspired design will persist. I'm not sure how much value run-of-the mill Mission or Craftsman furniture will have, the pieces touched by Harvey Ellis or Greene and Greene will continue to be valued. There's a lot of mediocre Craftsman furniture out there, including some sold by Stickley.

Ikea will get its place in design museums for bringing a certain design aesthetic to the masses. None of the actual pieces will survive in use into the next century.

always wish I kept me 62 Ferrari GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    Or even an original Porsche 356 Speedster.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Pfft. should have got a 63

Screenshot 2023-10-30 230752.jpg

The most passionate Ferrari collectors will spend whatever it takes to get their hands on a classic model. This is proven by the astronomical figures wealthy fans have shelled out to add historic Ferraris to their collections. The 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO is no exception, and in 2018, a record fee was paid for the classic car at an auction.

A bid of $48.4 million was enough to secure the famous Ferrari for one lucky investor at an RM Sotheby's auction in California. The red 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO was expected to fetch anywhere between $45 million and $60 million at the auction.
    While the final bid of $48.4 million is a lot, it's a little underwhelming considering the figure expected of the Ferrari. Perhaps even more impressively, a 1963 Ferrari 250 GTO was also sold in 2018, although privately, for $80 million. Every single Ferrari 250 GTO that left the factory was hand-built, which just adds to the appeal of this iconic GT.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post

My Mum and her Aston Martin.
    Attachment 509708Mum and her Aston Martin.jpg
    Last edited by Mark Hennebury; 10-31-2023 at 9:42 AM.

Photo wont open up for me but odd time that happens will try again. Just kidding about the ferrari. I did get to work on one of those when I learned detailing. I think he did the one that sold at Barret. Dont forget in those numbers some amount if a buyers premium and that second number I always heard 70 mill and they expected the next one to hit 100 mill. Pink Floyd drummer has one and other nice cars, read past they used it to finance some tours borrowing on it. Nice when stuff goes up in value. Think Jay Leno said he could have bought one for 38k way back.

Couple of Lasses out for lunch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEK-biCN7zo

Nice rides especially the chopper!

O to be a wealthy European.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    O to be a wealthy European.
    Pat the greenhouses near where I grew up hand dug a well to 90 or maybe 110 feet and had a dry hole. They brought in a driller who hit water at 130 feet. It came up to 30 feet below the surface and could not be pumped down by a three inch pump. Ground level was about 100 feet above sea level. San Francisco bay was less then two miles away.
    Bill D

Mark second link worked. Was your mom dating James Bond? Are you his son or one of them.

Old guy had a home on 40 plus acres with two buildings one a shop one storage. years into the place their water situation got worse and worse. I hired a guy who showed up with two copper rods in wood handles. He told them where to dig a new well and they did. Never had a water issue again.