Thread: Bandsaw Blade

Bandsaw Blade

What is the best overall blade?

I don't cut out overalls on a bandsaw myself, but I have heard it can be an efficient way to get the job done. I'll keep an eye on this thread to find out the answer. I imagine it may depend to some extent on the material, as denim or duck are much thinner than some of the heavy nylon materials.

Mods, this needs to be moved to the Neander section - a scissors is clearly the best way I have found to cut up overalls.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Gibbons View Post
    That's a wide open question Ed. The better resaw blades are likely different brand from thinner blades that are more nimble at curve cutting.

I prefer Lenox Diemaster 2 blades if they are available in the TPI and thickness I want.

I think where your blades are welded is as important as what you get. Right now my preferred blade supplier is Blade Serpent. Best welds I've seen, although my sample size is likely lower than others on the Creek.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Gibbons View Post
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ght=&styleid=3

There is no "best band"...because there are so many variables. Quality is a good idea, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'll go out on a limb and make a couple of recommendations. If you have a lower powered saw, say 2 hp or less, and want a general, all-purpose blade, it's hard to beat a 3/8" x 4 - 6 tpi blade. It can resaw, slowly, up to about 6", it can make straight rip cuts, and it can cut fairly tight curves. It's what generally is on my 14" cast iron Delta. For larger, more powerful saws, I would use the same blade for general use if it were my only saw. But for straight line only work, I would put a 3/4 or 1" x 1.3 - 2 tpi carbide blade on it, assuming it can put at least 20 ksi tension on it. It can't be beat for ripping, resawing, and veneer slicing.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I'll go out on a limb and make a couple of recommendations. If you have a lower powered saw, say 2 hp or less, and want a general, all-purpose blade, it's hard to beat a 3/8" x 4 - 6 tpi blade. It can resaw, slowly, up to about 6", it can make straight rip cuts, and it can cut fairly tight curves. It's what generally is on my 14" cast iron Delta. For larger, more powerful saws, I would use the same blade for general use if it were my only saw. But for straight line only work, I would put a 3/4 or 1" x 1.3 - 2 tpi carbide blade on it, assuming it can put at least 20 ksi tension on it. It can't be beat for ripping, resawing, and veneer slicing.

John
    I agree in general but it also depends quite a lot on what you cut and what type on cut quality you're looking for

Thanks for the laugh Zachary

LOL, is your answer still "1/2" skip-tooth carbon steel (any number of brands) has always been my all-purpose choice."

To be fair, the previous thread was a bit more specific while this one is WAY too open ended. Size of bandsaw, context and application is everything so it's really hard to answer genuinely.