Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Milwaukee Cordless Track Saw

I have both the Festool track saw and the Mafell K85EC with their guide rails. I think the Mafell guide rails are far better than the Festool ones. They lock securely and are perfectly straight. So really not sure what the above comments are about.

Yes the saw is a beast. Far heavier than the Festool, but with much greater cutting capacity. And, certainly, more expensive.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    Local Woodcraft store has a device mounted to their SawStop that you set the sheet of plywood in and then raise the sheet up to cut. I looked at it 8-10 yrs ago, however don't need or want it as I use a 60" panel saw to handle all sheet goods. Something for you to hunt for as I am certain it would be a whole lot less money. I don't darken the door at Woodcraft store anymore as I have not received any customer service last three times there. Order on line instead of driving 40 minutes to get ignored. I did buy my SawStop ICS with all options there in 2014, was not a pleasant experience. Shop instructor where I work has same problem with them, yet is forced to deal there.
    Ron
    I wouldn't be so sure that lift would cost less than a track saw. I get good service at my local Woodcraft, but sheesh are SawStop accessories expensive. I asked about the router extension and lift attachments they had on a floor model. When I added everything up it was over $1,600 and that didn't include a router. No thanks. I can build a router table extension myself.

Pat,

I started out with the Festool track saw and guide over 10 years ago. I am invested with the Makita 18v cordless tools and purchased the Makita cordless track saw and haven’t looked back. I have the Makita 118” track and recently ripped down 8 4x8 sheets of plywood and it was so quick and efficient. I have found the Makita and Festool to be interchangeable. Do you have any cordless tools? If so, consider their track saw if they have one. Also, the 3rd accessories like TSO products for track saws are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Konopka View Post
    Pat,

I started out with the Festool track saw and guide over 10 years ago. I am invested with the Makita 18v cordless tools and purchased the Makita cordless track saw and haven’t looked back. I have the Makita 118” track and recently ripped down 8 4x8 sheets of plywood and it was so quick and efficient. I have found the Makita and Festool to be interchangeable. Do you have any cordless tools? If so, consider their track saw if they have one. Also, the 3rd accessories like TSO products for track saws are awesome.
    Thank you, Rich.

The only cordless tool I have now is a Milwaukee drill with a charger and two batteries. I figure that's a good start for going full on Milwaukee.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    Thank you, Rich.

The only cordless tool I have now is a Milwaukee drill with a charger and two batteries. I figure that's a good start for going full on Milwaukee.
    Pat,

You will not disappointed with the Milwaukee tools. The good thing about Milwaukee is they have good sales all the time at HD. There are also good deals with Black Friday. I doubt they will have the cordless saw and tracks on sale.

Yes, HD is a good local source for many Milwaukee tools. I will also mention that Toolnut online is also a good source.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Here are some more of my thoughts/musings/clarification after being away for a bit:

A Mafell track saw has allowances to run on a Festool track but its native track system is Bosch.
    Actually the "native" track system is from MAFELL. Bosch use the same profile and the connectors are interchangeable. Metabo also uses the same profile , but the connectors are not interchangeable. Bosch's version is available with holes to use a router jig to make 32mm spaced holes. I don't think Mafell ffers that.

Michael, as I mentioned previously, the new Milwaulkee setup has the "clip to the track" feature. It's true that it's not available on the regular Festool and Makita tracks,
    For the sake of accuracy, the Makita DOES have an anti-tip feature.

Additionally, there are numerous sources for aftermarket anti-tip devices that will mate to Festool's TS55 line. I've seen the included (used to be anyway) Festool Limit Stop used to do the same thing. That's you feel you even need it.

I've never felt the need for such a gizmo. I rarely do bevel cuts and have just used my left hand to stabilize the plate in 45deg mode. It was sorta natural. I'll wager 99% of track saw users are making their bevel cut incorrectly anyway- which is prob. hy they fell the need for a gizmo.

After using a cord for all these years I would only get a cordless one. The cord just seems to find a way to get caught on something no matter what I do. A dust collection hose is much larger so it's never been an issue.
    To each his own, but have you considered why your cord snagged but not your vac hose ? Secure your cord to the hose and your issue will go away. Use an rail edge protector and thinghs get easier too. The Mafell/ Bosch rails have them built in already !

I already had a Makita track (also purchased some while back for an experiment). The Makita is near-identical to the Festool, as well made, and half the price.
    By coincidence, this review of the Milwaukee, and comparison with the Makita, came up on YouTube. The presenter is Scott Brown,

Have to disagree with this. They are cheaper, but not by 50%. They are also not as consistent (not straight) especially in the longer lenghts. Precesion + consistent manuf. cost money.

SB had some good thoughts on the saws. ALso had some out there conclusions. Plus I seriously question why the bottom of an already installed window needs trimming ?
    Bluetooth is certainly nice for cordless tools...................BUT....... unless you're full cordless it's a minor convenience in my view. Few Cordless vacs out there and their run time is abysmal. Makita was the first to offer BT pairing and they have a battery vac too. Neither are big sellers from the folks I've talked to and jobsites I visit. Festool was next up with an add on module and has just now brought a battery vac to market. Thing is the BT modules add A LOT of expense to the equation. Scott seems to prefer that the cost be lumped in with the purchase price , but I find that unsophisticated view wasteful and not cinsumer friendly. His Metabo add on is much more versatile, and costs no more at the end of the day when the final accounting is done. SUre it's not as pretty as the OEM built in solutions, but gosh, those red milwaukee tracks sure are purrdy. So, I won't be lookin at the vac trigger system anyway !

Jim.

I have the Mafell MT55cc 6 1/2" track saw with a cord.

P.S. I saw your post about the Festool clip to track feature on their new saws and thought found it very interesting. I haven't cut any bevels with my track saw and I don't know how bad the saws without this feature are to control? But I knew I had to have this feature when I read about it in their marketing material... LOL!

See previous comments - I don't think bevels are as big a deal as the marketing boys would have you believe. And lots of aftermarket solutions for systems that don't have an OEM feature.

The good thing about Milwaukee is they have good sales all the time at HD. There are also good deals with Black Friday. I doubt they will have the cordless saw and tracks on sale.
    Yup..........this volume means there will certainly be more opportunity for discounted gear.
    Last edited by Dave Sabo; 11-05-2023 at 10:24 AM.

FWIW - the "Festool Limited Stop" is/was an aid to reduce the chance of kickback, not for securing the saw to the track for 45* cuts.

As I mentioned above - I really like the track holding feature on my Makita. (might want to try one before knocking it)
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

To the cordless issue in a shop. . . I am a big fan of corded tools that will stay in the shop. Mainly, worried about having to replace tools if I want to switch to a different battery platform. That being said it would be nice not to constantly worry about the cord getting hung up on something when breaking down expensive plywood.

ToolNut currently has a sale price on the Milwaukee track saw.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by John Goodin View Post
    To the cordless issue in a shop. . . I am a big fan of corded tools that will stay in the shop. Mainly, worried about having to replace tools if I want to switch to a different battery platform. That being said it would be nice not to constantly worry about the cord getting hung up on something when breaking down expensive plywood.
    Agree completely. I have many tools with tails, but I'm thinking a track with no tail would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    FWIW - the "Festool Limited Stop" is/was an aid to reduce the chance of kickback, not for securing the saw to the track for 45* cuts.

As I mentioned above - I really like the track holding feature on my Makita. (might want to try one before knocking it)
    I know what it's "for" Rich................................I'm telling you and anyone else interested that it "can" be used for another purpose.

I've also tried all of the systems (most anyway) and was one of the first people in the country to own a tracksaw and have 1000's of hours of use with em, so I have a bit of knowledge . I wasn't knocking Makita's anti-tip feature; I actually applaud them for coming out first with a feature that many find useful. I am knocking their manufacturing and distribution process for their guide rails ! They are not as straight or consistent as Festool's .

It should be noted that no one is perfect, even Festool rails come out of tolerance sometimes AND they had a short lived debacle where they thought they'd produce the rails themselves in the USA. They soon found out that their "local" extruder couldn't produce to specs even at the higher price point.

I also question the "need" for an anti-tip gizmo or feature in the first place. Same as I question the "need" of a guide rail alignment jig, and a host of other gee wiz stuff that crops up. If you like it , fine. But I see too many folks get all knotted up cause the tool they're considering doesn't have this feature or that.

That being said it would be nice not to constantly worry about the cord getting hung up on something when breaking down expensive plywood.
    WIth "expensive" plywood aren't you using a vacuum to give a better and cleaner cut ?
    Aren't you worried about that hose getting hung up ?
    There are many gizmos and techniques that will eliminate that iissue.
    Last edited by Dave Sabo; 11-11-2023 at 9:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Yes, HD is a good local source for many Milwaukee tools. I will also mention that Toolnut online is also a good source.
    Seems like everyone has the track saw on sale, same price.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W Pugh View Post
    Yea, and "tis the season". The deal at ToolNut was pretty decent, honestly, and if I wanted a cordless version I'd likely consider it, although now that I bought the CSX-18 from Festool and have their battery system, going red would be less likely and I'm well served by my "tracksaw with a tail" for what I do.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W Pugh View Post
    ACME had a hidden sale last week. $100 off and added in a $30 gift card. Got the Milwaukee Track saw kit ordered for $429 plus the gift card (so, actually $399). I did not order the kit with the track, as in reading the reviews, many note that the zero clearance rubber rail comes "unstuck" within a few uses. Something to do with the glue that they used.

Which didn't matter to me, as I already have the Festool crosscut and 8'+ rails.