Thread: Looking for a router table switch...

Question Looking for a router table switch...

I'm looking for a new switch for my router table, which has a (more or less) dedicated DW 625 in it. What I want is a switch that's reasonably safe (e.g, not a lightswitch), but with a small footprint.

Grizzly has a switch which meets my size criteria (the mounting size is only 7/8" x 1-7/8"), but it's only a 10amp switch.

So far, everything I've found is either HUGE (which admittedly might be more safe, but it's not what I want), or won't handle a 110v/15amp tool.

My WIBN (wouldn't it be nice) list includes: a protected "on" button, an easy to hit "off" button, something that could be recessed into the surface (or at least doesn't stick out 3"), and an illuminated "on" button would top things off, all in a small package.

Anyone know of anything along these lines?
    Attached Images Attached Images

You might try Woodcraft. Here is a link to a switch that may be what you want. I have seen similar ones like you posted in the store.

http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/...searchtype=AND
    Every deed plants a seed.

Howard, thanks for the suggestion, and I actually have looked at that switch, but it falls under what I would categorize as "huge" - it's more of a surface mounted thing with plug-in outlets on it. I'm looking for something maybe 1/5th that size that can be recessed into the surface.

I'm guessing I'm going to have to go thru an electrical house to find what I'm looking for, if anyone makes it...

I use a GE CR101 manual motor starter switch for GE Supply, cost's around $50 and has all the features you mentioned and mounts on a standard electrical box. Although I haven't used one, Woodworker's Supply (1-800-645-9292) has a nice 30A manual motor switch
    for $25 (part # 907-134). To reach GE try www.gesupply.com and then search on part CR101. You can register as guest and they'll sell to you. I just went and looked and part CR101JA1B is $43, less than when I bought it. It's a 20a, 2 pole, manual motor starter swith with the buttons labled On-Off. There is another one labled Start-Stop

Here are a couple

but don't know about the size... I got some type of an e-mail advertisement for something along the lines you are describing but of course can't remember where it was or what I did with it.

Another Woodcraft Router Switch

Rockler Switch

I'll try to find the other one...
    Mark

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."
    Will Rogers

Richard,

The Rockler switch Mark linked to is hard to beat for value.

John

Grizzly switch not for this use...

...reasonably safe!! After this mishap I want more. I think this switch will do fine. It will also be recessed. Got it at Grainger (they were close) $36
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

I got the Bench Dog switch for Christmas and have found it to work exceptionally well. I think it fits everything you are looking for in its slim design, flexibility in mounting, lighted when on, and a simple bump to turn it off.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Hayes
    I got the Bench Dog switch for Christmas and have found it to work exceptionally well. I think it fits everything you are looking for in its slim design, flexibility in mounting, lighted when on, and a simple bump to turn it off.
    Dave
    I'll second the Bench Dog switch. Very small footprint and you can mount it anywhere.

It looks like I'm in the minority, but, I have a standard switched outlet from the big box. I mounted a standard mounting box under the front edge of my table to mount it and ran a cord out for the wall outlet. I threaded the router cord to the outside of the table and tacked it in place so I can pull the router plug whenever I change bits without having to reach over behind the table to unplug from the wall. The outlet also serves as an additional outlet nearby the table should I want to plug in a Dremal or ROS or whatever.

George

I wasn't able to find the other switch I referred to earlier but did come across a 15% discount (off of regular price) for folks who subscribe to the Rockler email newsletter. Might check it out.
    Mark

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."
    Will Rogers

I had the one Woodcraft and some others carry. A gentle bump on the handle and the light goes out... the router doesn't! Took that one back.

I'm using a "light switch" and won't recommend it for a quick safety switch. I have to fumble for it, which isn't good. I'm going to look at the others mentioned.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Barlow
    You might try Woodcraft. Here is a link to a switch that may be what you want. I have seen similar ones like you posted in the store.

http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/...searchtype=AND

IMHO there are two OFF modes required, and therefore two switches. The first is regular OFF, and you can pick your favorite switch for that. The second is fingers-on-the-cutter OFF, and for that I prefer pulling the plug, turning off the breaker, or installing a lever-type cutoff switch.

Tony

Blog Entries

Just a thought!

Go to sears and look at their saws. Mine has a switch that has a plug in the back that the saw motor plugs into and then goes to the wall. It has everything you want except the light. You can order it as a replacement part right from Sears!
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute