Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torit Dust Collector

Blog Entries

Torit Dust Collector

Hi,

I'm asking seller for more info, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with / uses / used this style of dust collector. There is a typical Grizzly bag style 5 hp for $1100 used in my area and there is this guy about an 1 hour away that is for $1500.

Since he's slowly closing his shop, I'm sure I can salvage most of the piping too.

Torit.jpg

With that long cone the cyclone is probably pretty efficient. I wonder whether the filtration area is adequate and how the chip bin below the cyclone works. Both can be upgraded if need be but should be considered.

It's huge! What is the HP rating? Besides the size, which looks to take up probably 3x that of my Oneida Supercell, it looks to be a good design with a long cyclone cone. Maybe the box at the bottom can be changed to a 30-50 gallon barrel to reduce the size.

Blog Entries
    The Torit is a commercial product. 3 phase maybe? I agree that it would be an awesome DC but at the cost of a substantial footprint. I wonder if there are 2 more bags hiding behind the cone. That 2 bag setup seems awfully inadequate for what I would imagine the throughput of that machine is(???).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

A couple of things, notice how much dust is outside the bags covering all and sundry. There is a truism in dust extraction and that is all bags leak and there has never been one that doesn't so make sure they are in a separate area away from the work shop.

If it is 3 phase the bigger the impeller the better as it can be run slower thus reducing noise. HP means very little it is the impeller size that controls the amount of air the system moves. Using a 3 phase motor means the impeller speed and noise can be controlled.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I have had a Torit Donaldson 20-5 cyclone dust collector that has the cabinet at the bottom for the past six years, and it works fantastic!
    I got it VERY used, and refurbished it to be as good as new.
    However, a few things to keep in mind.
    The size and weight of the unit, depending on the model, needs to be carefully considered. The one in your pic appears over 10' tall, as the motor extends above the ceiling.
    They're industrial units, so chances are good it's 3 phase, so keep the amperage in mind for wiring and electrical. Be sure it comes with a starter.
    Check all the tall bags (there should be 4) for wear and tears, and to see if the zippers still work properly. Those bags are very expensive!
    The bearings on the motor are fairly inexpensive to change, if that should be needed.
    If you can, check the impeller for wear and damage.
    There's not a lot to go wrong with these things, so if it works well now, it's probably good to go.

One important point to consider however is that it does not collect the very fine dust as well as a canister filter would. It will however suck up pretty much all the sawdust and chips you can throw at it.
    But cleaning a canister filter is a nightmare compared to unzipping the bags, so I'll take these bags all day, every day!
    If you can get it for a good price, I'd say go for it. Especially if the piping is included. I think a new Torit 5hp model is in the $9000 range.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    There is a truism in dust extraction and that is all bags leak and there has never been one that doesn't so make sure they are in a separate area away from the work shop.
    It ain't necessarily so. I have had two bag systems which did not leak dust. If you have room for a bank of bag filters that add up to the correct surface area they can work as well as cartridges and are far easier to keep clean.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gustav Gabor View Post
    I have had a Torit Donaldson 20-5 cyclone dust collector that has the cabinet at the bottom for the past six years, and it works fantastic!
    I got it VERY used, and refurbished it to be as good as new.
    Thanks for the info!

How much was required to make it good as new? A few belts and bearings? New bags?

If I go this route, I'd build a shed / lean to for it outside. I always envisioned an outdoor solution when all is said and done.

This one is also available for free (obviously lots of effort getting it removed and moved):
    big guy.jpg
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    It's huge! What is the HP rating? Besides the size, which looks to take up probably 3x that of my Oneida Supercell, it looks to be a good design with a long cyclone cone. Maybe the box at the bottom can be changed to a 30-50 gallon barrel to reduce the size.
    7.5 HP

More words for the Matrix to accept me as human
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

Back in the 80’s I had a 7-1/2 up Torit that emptied into two 55 gallon drums. It had 4 filter bags. Worked great. when using a widebelt sander it would cake a thick layer of dust on the inside of the drums meaning the separation was great.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    Back in the 80’s I had a 7-1/2 up Torit that emptied into two 55 gallon drums. It had 4 filter bags. Worked great. when using a widebelt sander it would cake a thick layer of dust on the inside of the drums meaning the separation was great.
    Awesome. That's a good point. I don't have a widebelt yet, but that is an obvious upgrade that needs to take place probably in the year to date time frame.
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    Thanks for the info!

How much was required to make it good as new? A few belts and bearings? New bags?

If I go this route, I'd build a shed / lean to for it outside. I always envisioned an outdoor solution when all is said and done.

This one is also available for free (obviously lots of effort getting it removed and moved):
    big guy.jpg
    Well, the one I got came out of a junkyard in Victoria, B.C., so it had rust in the box that needed to be addressed, and the bearings on the motor were quite noisy as it had been sitting out in the rain for many years.
    The only real expense was the 2 bearings for the motor, 4 new bags, blue paint, and some steel patch panels to fix the rusted out box. There are no belts, as this is direct drive.
    I also built a magnetic starter for it, as the starter it came with was just a simple lever/contact type switch.
    And of course, a good bit of time was invested in making it all work.
    I have about $1000 CAD ($650 USD) invested in it, including shipping and all the parts. The piping to hook it all up however cost a fair bit, as much of it is Nordfab (used), and spiral pipe.
    Keep that in mind. The plumbing can be as much if not more than the actual dust collector! That's why it'd be very good to get ALL the parts with that 7.5hp unit, which by the way will be very powerful!

The one you have pictured in your last post is absolutely massive. I'd say that unless you're milling a HUGE amount of lumber, that one is serious overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    It ain't necessarily so. I have had two bag systems which did not leak dust. If you have room for a bank of bag filters that add up to the correct surface area they can work as well as cartridges and are far easier to keep clean.
    I'll bet money they did, yes they caught the big stuff but the fine invisible particles will always escape a bag system
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I have an older 3 hp version of torit dust collector cyclone. The cabinet on the bottom of mine holds about the same amount of saw dust as a 50 gal barrel.
    It works great.

I have a 15 HP Torit cyclone that has been great. I got an aftermarket baghouse (with Beane fabric tubes) as an afterfilter, so there is huge cloth/air ratio. It has been great, but is definitely noisy. Note that if you put more filter area on, the amp draw will be higher. Mine runs close to max.
    JR