Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do self driving cars tailgate

cant see a thing like that tailgating, be like programming bad habits in. What did they use in the Jetsons?

They aren't going to tailgate as long as we still have human drivers on the road. It still takes time to respond if the vehicle in front slows down or similar. A few decades from now we may have networked vehicles that all work together to notify the surrounding cars that they are slowing down.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Boston and its outskirts is where I became re-familiarized with drafting. Every one going 80 MPH or more. Re-familiarized against my will. It is impossible to keep space open in front in Boston traffic. I don't like it.
    Boston - where driving is a contact sport.

Remember also that a safe following distance is highly dependent on reaction time and a machine constantly monitoring the distance and the speed of the car being followed will consistently react faster than an average driver who is distracted by any number of things like talking to a passenger, looking at roadside billboards, changing the station on their radio not to mention texting on their phone. So a self driving car should be able to safely follow another car at a much closer distance even without networking.

I decided that driverless cars was a flawed concept when a TV piece showed how they were programmed to keep the same distance from vehicles in front and behind.
    It had an illustration showing a multi-lane highway filled with cars, all with the same rather small space between them. If one car had a problem, all would be involved because there was no room to maneuver or escape.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    I decided that driverless cars was a flawed concept when a TV piece showed how they were programmed to keep the same distance from vehicles in front and behind.
    It had an illustration showing a multi-lane highway filled with cars, all with the same rather small space between them. If one car had a problem, all would be involved because there was no room to maneuver or escape.
    How is that different from a normal rush-hour freeway commute?
    (So very glad I'm retired and don't have that problem...)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    No one's honking their horn.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post

I think it's different because it's by design- to fill up any available space, rather than a worst case situation (the commute).

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    My brother is (was) a sports car enthusiast. He had several little light cars: MG midget and B, Lotus Europa, Sabb Sonnet, various Triumphs, VW Karman Ghia, ... He used to love to get behind a semi real close and let it pull us along. I was often his passenger. I still get the hebbie jeebies when I approach a semi and remember those rides. I have accidentally gotten into the bubble behind a semi in the Prius. It drafts almost as well as the Sabb and the Lotus. Most semi's have cameras in the back these days.
    Was working in Aspen, CO back in the early 80s and came out of Glenwood heading for home in Grand Junction. Got behind a semi and got on his tail in my boss's Datsun pickup drafting at about 80. I think I remember passing another semi before him with the same logo on the trailer (remembered later...). I was back there for a while so pretty sure he didn't see me in his mirrors. Anyway, he locked up his trailer brakes - like smoked them. I didn't have time to hit the brakes - cranked the wheel and somehow missed the ICC bar. Went around him and never looked back. The things we survived in our youth...
    Regards,

Kris

Blog Entries
    Plus I'd be willing to bet self driving cars are full of cameras and sensors that could be used to prove what really happened or better yet avoid the accident.
    If the self driving car was tailgating, any recorded video would probably make the case for the plaintiff of the maker not properly programming the vehicle to follow at a safe distance.

Also see > https://probinskylaw.com/2019/02/rea...lammed-brakes/

While you may think the accident should be the lead driver's fault for irresponsibly slamming on their brakes, in nearly 100% of cases the rear driver is determined to be at fault. Every driver on the road is responsible for maintaining a safe distance between themselves and the car in front of them.
    It is the legal impact of tailgating that makes me thing the engineers and designers of self driving cars do their best to avoid such liability.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Boston - where driving is a contact sport.
    Or "Turn Signals are a Sign of Weakness".

I remember when I lived in Boston, the first advice I got on the first day of college was when the light turns red, let the first three cars run the light, then you can cross. Saved my life many times.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    If the self driving car was tailgating, any recorded video would probably make the case for the plaintiff of the maker not properly programming the vehicle to follow at a safe distance.

Also see > https://probinskylaw.com/2019/02/rea...lammed-brakes/

It is the legal impact of tailgating that makes me thing the engineers and designers of self driving cars do their best to avoid such liability.

jtk

Brake checking, or suddenly braking when there is a car behind you, is illegal in most jurisdictions in North America. The act can cause considerable damage and put drivers at risk for severe injury or death. It can also lead to severe legal penalties in certain areas, such as fines, jail time, and license suspension.

So both tailgating and brake checking are illegal. I think most rear end collisions, even those involving tailgating, occur because the rear driver doesn't react fast enough when the lead driver brakes. In the case of a self driving car I think the reaction time is a fraction of a second while a human driver, especially if distracted, may take several seconds to react. So I agree the designers of self driving cars do there best to avoid the liability, and I think the likelihood of a self driving car being involved in a rear end collision is likely significantly lower than a car driven by the average driver.

One of the thoughts I had is if a small critter, like a squirrel, starts across the road and stops most human drivers will brake hard or swerve to avoid it. I've actually seen several rear enders happen because of this situation. If a self driving car encounters this situation the poor animal will probably just get run over.

My new car records 360 video constantly for the last 20 seconds, either by default when a collision occurs or manually by me, when I see an incident.

I would imagine self driving cars will do the same thing to reduce liability.

Although this camera/sensor technology is great, it also makes cars with this equipment quite a bit more expensive to repair in the case of a small fender bender, which is driving up insurance premiums.

I guess tailgating is following to close for conditions. So a robot car can be much closer and still be perfectly safe.
    Bill D