Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bed Frame Question

Bed Frame Question

I am planning on a bed frame build, I am hoping to avoid a center leg due to my floor being wavy and my wife liking to move the bed. I saw these plans using a 2x4 under the slats/plywood to support the slats/plywood. Do you guys think it would be strong enough to support a king size bed? I was thinking of using some ash I have have for the support under the slats, some like at least a true 1x4 maybe 2x4. I would probably do slats with OSB on top then place the bed on top.

For the side rails of the bed I am planning walnut as thick as I can keep it (5/4 right now but rough) probably 8in tall to look good and support the rails.

When I put it in the sagulator it says acceptable for ash 1x4 it can support 600lbs, I would have 2 of the supports in the middle, and side rails will take some of the weight, my wife and I combines are well under 600lbs lol.

Has anyone used these bed frame hardware setups? They look great for my usage but I want a firm frame.

https://www.rockler.com/heavy-duty-w...ck-select-size

Quote Originally Posted by cody michael View Post
    When I put it in the sagulator it says acceptable for ash 1x4 it can support 600lbs, I would have 2 of the supports in the middle, and side rails will take some of the weight
    What is the length of the supports? When the sagulator says "acceptable", what does that mean? How much will they sag under load, with support only at the two ends? 1 x 4 seems dicey to me, to be honest.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    What is the length of the supports? When the sagulator says "acceptable", what does that mean? How much will they sag under load, with support only at the two ends? 1 x 4 seems dicey to me, to be honest.
    I was planning on more of a 1.5x4 or 2x4 need to see what I have lol. Just used 1x4 for worst case, they are 80in long for king size bed, at 600lbs it sags 0.09 in total. That is 600lbs on one support the weight on the bed would be divided between the 2 supports and 2 side rails.

That sounds really good.

Now - I'm not too sure about the OSB slats? No real experience in using it like this - will they hold up? How long before the odor dissipates?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    That sounds really good.

Now - I'm not too sure about the OSB slats? No real experience in using it like this - will they hold up? How long before the odor dissipates?
    OSB for the slats? I would hope not, especially over that span. SWMBO had a single Euro style bed with slats. they were approximately 1 X 4 solid soft wood (I think) kept spaced with a fabric ribbon sort of like you might find on lawn chair backs/seats stapled to the slats. The picture shows pockets into which the slats fit. That should work as well.

Have not used them. I would only use the the traditional bed BOLTS with the ‘implanted’ nuts . Strong ,sturdy, quiet.

I have a bed with that hardware. It works fine and has lasted. I have seen others that I thought I might try next time that does not require a mortise.

I used that hardware on a king-sized bed hardwood bed and they're holding up. That said, screwing in to end grain is suboptimal. I had to use really really long screws. If I was doing it again, I'd go with the bed bolt and implanted nut.

The supports under the slats are going to be on edge, not flat, right? That’s important.

I’d make the supports taller than your 2x4. Beam stiffness goes up with the cube of the height. Your side rails are 8” tall, so there’s no reason to use supports that are small I’d go with 6” or even 8” tall.

I built the bed for my wife and I, custom mattress larger than california king, with no support for slats. The slats are dressed fir 2x4s and span the entire distance. Combined we are 330lbs and after 4 years of use it's been fine. Foam mattress sits right on the slats.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

I've used that sort of bed hardware and its been fine.

That said, and this is all intuition and no numbers, but I feel like the additional support of some center rails help displace some of the weight which will now be completely held by the outside frame. I'd go with bed bolts and a captured nut or something like that...feels like you're pushing it a bit too far with no center support and all that weight on ~#8 screws....

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    OSB for the slats? I would hope not, especially over that span. SWMBO had a single Euro style bed with slats. they were approximately 1 X 4 solid soft wood (I think) kept spaced with a fabric ribbon sort of like you might find on lawn chair backs/seats stapled to the slats. The picture shows pockets into which the slats fit. That should work as well.
    Sorry I wasn't clear. OSB over top of slats, my mattress needs a solid foundation, I don't think just slats would be enough. I was going to do slats, probably ash since I have a lot and then osb or plywood over top to make a smooth surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    The supports under the slats are going to be on edge, not flat, right? That’s important.

I’d make the supports taller than your 2x4. Beam stiffness goes up with the cube of the height. Your side rails are 8” tall, so there’s no reason to use supports that are small I’d go with 6” or even 8” tall.
    supports are vertical, I need space for the slats, I want some flat solid surface either OSB or plywood on top of slats and I want the mattress an inch or 2 into the frame. I also need some space underneath the bracing to attach to head and footboard unless I use that hardware kit I linked above for the middle braces and legs which is an option.

That is how I came up with the 4in idea.

Make a torsion box and solve all the issues. No need for mid support and 100% support for the mattress. I built a torsion box about 3" thick for a Murphy double bed and it sags not one little bit. I used poplar for the internals and 1/4" plywood for the skins. I'm not sure how thick it would need to be for a king size bed, but I bet not much, if any, thicker.

John

We have a queen size bed in guest room that has 5 1x4 pine slats the slats are also full of knots, looking at em I would think they wouldn't hold up but we've had the bed for about 25 years we used to sleep on it every night. It's been through a few mattresses and some large couples sleeping on it no problem. So 1x4 Ash will work no problem you wouldnt need any OSB if you have a box spring.