Thread: Where to get powder for powder coating MDF

Where to get powder for powder coating MDF

I've been searching where to get powder for coating MDF and it's proven difficult. I've tried PPG, Tiger, Columbia Coatings, Prismatic. Lowest temperature cure I can find is 350 which might be stretched to 325. I need to do a test on some MDF to see if it will burn at 325.

Anyone know anything about how this is done?
    JonathanJungDesign.com

If it's flat.. and doesn't have a lot of possibilities for shading, I'd look at UV cured powder coating.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Any idea what UV lamps would be required? I've looked into it a little, and it seemed not as versatile and costlier to setup for, as I already have a conventional oven. I'll have to look again at what UV lamps cost. Most parts I'm doing fit inside a large home oven which I've repurposed.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

I haven't looked into it seriously in about a decade. Things may have changed. At that time, I decided to just hire out. It sure seems to fit your use-case though.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Doesn't sound simple or easy! Coating the edges must really be a trick https://www.powdercoatingonline.com/powder-coating-mdf/

https://www.westfraser.com/sites/def...lus%202013.pdf

Auto-ignition temperature of this particular brand of MDF is at least 400°F. I saw some other, slightly higher temperatures online.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Jung View Post
    I've been searching where to get powder for coating MDF and it's proven difficult. I've tried PPG, Tiger, Columbia Coatings, Prismatic. Lowest temperature cure I can find is 350 which might be stretched to 325. I need to do a test on some MDF to see if it will burn at 325.

Anyone know anything about how this is done?
    Years ago I worked for a company that built dip tanks industrial ovens overhead conveyors for automotive deere harvester etc...I think in order to truly powder coat you need to electrically charge the paint and the substrate +/-. Then bake it. Not sure how you powder coat wood based on the principles. Brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    Years ago I worked for a company that built dip tanks industrial ovens overhead conveyors for automotive deere harvester etc...I think in order to truly powder coat you need to electrically charge the paint and the substrate +/-. Then bake it. Not sure how you powder coat wood based on the principles. Brian
    That's my understanding as well. I believe it is common to apply a very thin/mist surface film of electrically conductive solution to the prepared wood prior to spraying on the paint. I think the wood is commonly preheated as well, to improve adhesion. It really is a factory process.