Thread: Dark Grey Marks from Rigid Sander on work piece?

Dark Grey Marks from Rigid Sander on work piece?

I've got the same Rigid oscillating belt/spindle sander everybody else seems to have. Recently I've been noticing some dark grey marks on work pieces after using the sander. I'm thinking there some paint or something coming off it?

I just cleaned it with water and then alcohol before taking the pictures of this piece of maple. Second shot is the other side, just to show it's not something in the wood grain.

Suggestions? I'm thinking maybe I'll try a coat of poly next.

PXL_20231022_221748223.jpgPXL_20231022_221753071.jpg

Blog Entries
    It looks like it got hot. I don't have that type of sander. If I did and I saw this I would think my feed speed was too slow.
    Best Regards, Maurice

If that marking is coming from the table, try waxing the table with paste wax (i still have some old formula Johnson, don't know what i'd use if i had to buy today). I've had my Ridgid for close to 10 years, started waxing 4 or 5 years ago. Only trouble is that it wears quickly since the sanding dust acts as an abrasive.

Skin it with pressure sensitive HDPE.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    It looks like it got hot. I don't have that type of sander. If I did and I saw this I would think my feed speed was too slow.
    Sorry, let me be clearer, I was not sanding the face displayed, but rather the narrow face, with the broad face on the table. Further I did this with the sander off, on a piece of scrap.

@Earl - I've waxed it in the past, I'm half wondering if that's what's coming up.

@John - That's a pretty good idea, either that or some melamine.

I have the same issue. I covered the table with blue tape, a crude fix, but it seems to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    If that marking is coming from the table, try waxing the table with paste wax (i still have some old formula Johnson, don't know what i'd use if i had to buy today). I've had my Ridgid for close to 10 years, started waxing 4 or 5 years ago. Only trouble is that it wears quickly since the sanding dust acts as an abrasive.
    I love that idea!! Simple.