Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chat GPT knows woodworking

Chat GPT knows woodworking

A friend of mine asked what project I was working on. I said a 'drawer' project (have been doing small sets of drawers like jewelry case work). But I mentioned that I really do not like making drawers - not at all my favorite thing to do.

So they thought this a bit strange that I would choose to do a project that I didnt like, so they turned to none other than Chat GPT for understanding.

Here is what ChatGPT said:

Q: This question is related to someone with a woodworking hobby. He doesn't really like making drawers but ends up working on projects that involve drawers. Give me 8 possible explanations, and rank on a 1-5 scale for likelihood. Use practical, philosophical, psychological and other considerations.

ChatGPT response:

Sure, here are eight possible explanations, ranked on a likelihood scale of 1-5 (with 5 being the most likely):

Functionality and Demand (5/5):

Practical Consideration: Drawers are highly functional and frequently requested in woodworking projects. Even if he doesn't like making them, their practicality in storage solutions might compel him to incorporate them.

Skill Mastery (4/5):

Psychological Consideration: There's a drive to master skills that are challenging. He might be pushing himself to improve his craft, even if he finds it tedious.

External Pressure (4/5):

Practical Consideration: Friends or family members might request projects with drawers. He may prioritize their wishes over his personal preferences.

Aesthetic Balance (3/5):

Philosophical Consideration: Despite disliking the process, he might feel that drawers balance the design of a project, making the end result more visually appealing.

Economic Reasons (3/5):

Practical Consideration: Projects with drawers might sell better, or he may get more commissions for them, making it financially worthwhile.

Internal Challenge (2/5):

Psychological Consideration: He may be internally motivated to face and overcome challenges. Making drawers, despite disliking them, might be a personal test.

Routine and Habit (2/5):

Practical Consideration: He may have gotten into a routine of making projects with drawers and hasn’t taken the time to break the habit or explore alternatives.

Fear of Missing Out (1/5):

Psychological Consideration: In the woodworking community, certain projects or skills might be seen as "must-haves." He might feel the pressure to conform and not miss out on trends, even if it means making something he doesn't enjoy.

Remember, these are broad generalizations and the true reason could be a combination of any of these or something entirely different.

(turns out my reasons were none of the above)

I haven’t played with chat gpt and don’t really have an opinion on it. But I liked the way your friend asked the question. I suspect that like most search engines, how you ask the question affects the answers you get. But I think most of the answers he got were “reasonable.”

I am curious though - what is your reason for making a project with drawers since it isn’t one of the answers the AI provided?

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post

I am curious though - what is your reason for making a project with drawers since it isn’t one of the answers the AI provided?

Fred
    Many of my projects start out with 'what can I make with this piece of wood?'. In this case it was a single block of figured wood, and some other small pieces of an exotic. Decided it was enough to make some drawers... so did.

Then every time I get some small bits of interesting wood I repeat the concept, just vary the size and proportions to fit the wood at hand. The latest are 4 of these in different combinations, based on what I could salvage from a really rough tabletop I got off facebook. This latest wood has been incredibly difficult to work with, I never did figure out what the species was but am close to finishing.

Only thing is, it requires making lots of drawers.

IMG_6387.jpgIMG_6382.jpg

I wonder if ChatGPT would give the basically the same answers if any other "part" was substituted for "drawer". That is, I dont see how it could know the relative significance or specific value of drawers in the context of woodworking, or its just making generic answers based on the tone of the question.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    Many of my projects start out with 'what can I make with this piece of wood?'. In this case it was a single block of figured wood, and some other small pieces of an exotic. Decided it was enough to make some drawers... so did.

Then every time I get some small bits of interesting wood I repeat the concept, just vary the size and proportions to fit the wood at hand. The latest are 4 of these in different combinations, based on what I could salvage from a really rough tabletop I got off facebook. This latest wood has been incredibly difficult to work with, I never did figure out what the species was but am close to finishing.

Only thing is, it requires making lots of drawers.
    Thanks. I was just curious. That’s a beautiful box. Love the figure and the contrasting wood!

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

A friend of mine asked what project I was working on. I said a 'drawer' project (have been doing small sets of drawers like jewelry case work). But I mentioned that I really do not like making drawers - not at all my favorite thing to do.

Here is what ChatGPT said:

Q: This question is related to someone with a woodworking hobby. He doesn't really like making drawers but ends up working on projects that involve drawers. Give me 8 possible explanations, and rank on a 1-5 scale for likelihood. Use practical, philosophical, psychological and other considerations.

TBH, I'm not sure I even understand the initial question. Give me 8 possible explanations for what? Explanations for why he doesn't like working on drawers? Or explanations for why he ends up working on drawer projects despite not enjoying making them?

Chat GPT is incredible. You have to be purposeful with the questions. Also, I find newer users don't fully understand that the prompting process is like a conversation. You can ask a question, then get a response. But then you can refine or replace that response by asking clarifying questions, or telling it what you wanted or didn't want. It's an iterative process of back and forth, and the quality of what you get will get better and better.
    I've heard some people here compare ChatGPT to a search engine, but they are fundamentally different.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    I've heard some people here compare ChatGPT to a search engine, but they are fundamentally different.
    I understand your point and agree Edwin.

That reads like a good high school essay by a student who knew nothing about the subject before starting. Did some basic research and came up with pop culture bland answers to hit the required number of supporting points and word count.
    Bill D

I use drawers to hold my drawers. I use old drawers as shop rags to spread stain and varnish on wood. Also used to clean stain and varnish after stain and varnish get on my hands.
    My mother used to cover the thanksgiving turkey with an old diaper and a pat of butter on top. When she ran out of old diapers she switched to aluminum foil.
    Bill D.

......(turns out my reasons were none of the above)

IMHO, your response lands pretty squarely in Skill Mastery and Internal Challenge. The wood selection drives you to see what kind of drawers you can build. Why do you fixate on projects with drawers? Only for you to say. But I think we all, or most all, tend to fixate to some degree on a type of project that we find rewarding. I currently tend to spend most of my shop time building toys for young children, although I do other things from time to time.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    That reads like a good high school essay by a student who knew nothing about the subject before starting. Did some basic research and came up with pop culture bland answers to hit the required number of supporting points and word count.
    Bill D
    Gross generalization type of answer

Chat gpt is fancy autocomplete. IMO
    These chatbots, just take the text you input and spits out the word that it feels is the most likely to follow, based on the datasets it was trained on. The system runs this process over and over, feeding in the latest text each time, and it will write what seems like a coherent answer.

I asked this same question and substituted ceramics for woodworking and cups for drawers.

Certainly! Here are eight possible explanations for someone with a ceramics hobby not enjoying making cups, along with a likelihood rating on a scale of 1-5 (with 1 being the least likely and 5 being the most likely):

1. Practical Consideration: Lack of interest in functional items - 4/5
    It is possible that the individual is more drawn to creating decorative or artistic pieces rather than functional items like cups. They may find greater satisfaction in exploring other forms of expression in ceramics.

2. Philosophical Preference: Desire for abstract or conceptual work - 3/5
    The person might lean towards creating abstract or conceptual pieces in ceramics, focusing on ideas or themes that go beyond the practicality of cups. This preference may guide their creative choices.

3. Psychological Associations: Negative experiences or memories - 2/5
    There could be underlying negative experiences or associations related to cups that have influenced their interest in working on such projects. These experiences might make them less inclined to enjoy creating cups.

4. Creative Challenge: Seeking new and complex projects - 4/5
    Some individuals are motivated by constant challenges and learning opportunities. Creating cups might not provide the desired level of complexity or novelty, leading to decreased enjoyment.

5. Personal Taste: Preference for specific ceramic forms - 3/5
    Each person has their own aesthetic preferences and creative vision. It's possible that the individual simply doesn't resonate with the form and shape of cups, preferring other ceramic forms instead.

6. Skill Development: Focus on mastering specific techniques - 4/5
    The person may have a strong desire to hone specific ceramic techniques or skills that are better suited to other projects. Cups might not offer the same opportunities for growth in those chosen areas.

7. External Influences: Commissioned or market demands - 2/5
    If the person creates ceramics for sale or on commission, they may find themselves working on cup-related projects due to market demands or client requests. However, this may not align with their personal interests and artistic goals.

8. Personal Expression: Limited interest in practical functionality - 4/5
    Some artists prioritize personal expression over functional utility in their creative pursuits. The individual might find more fulfillment in using ceramics as a medium for self-expression rather than creating functional items like cups.

Please note that these likelihood ratings are subjective and can vary based on individual circumstances. It's important to consider the specific context and personal motivations of the ceramics hobbyist in question.

The operative phrase in that is "seems like". I am loving the new-world of chatbot customer service and troubleshooting.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I still must not get it.

We're asking ChatGPT to explain why a given person does not enjoy doing a given task? Making drawers in this instance?

If I ask it why I don't like broccoli, should I expect an enlightening answer? Or maybe based on what it tells me I'll start liking broccoli?
    I don't think it's reasonable to expect AI to turn a nonsensical question into a rational answer.

I can tell you this much, Adobe is on the leading edge of incorporating AI into user applications. The beta AI tools they have rolled out in Photoshop are nothing short of amazing. They can perform tasks that used to take even advanced Photoshop users a LOT of time.
    Same goes for the chatbot help features.

Agreed, that Adobe AI has made seriously complex image manipulation pretty trivial. Then again, they've had filters and tools that automated manual pixel manipulation for years.

This is a far cry from complex problem determination. At least, in terms of anything I've seen so far.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    I don't think it's reasonable to expect AI to turn a nonsensical question into a rational answer.
    Absolutely.
    1. You must ask the proper question if you want anything more than a generalization.
    2. It can only give you an answer based on what it was programmed with, it's own data sets.

These things are not omniscient, they only know what they've been programmed with. The more, broader range of data will usually result in a better answer. The data sets are input or selected by humans.

Question, Does Edwin Santos like Broccoli?

Answer, As an AI language model, I don't have access to personal information about individuals unless it has been shared with me in the course of our conversation. So, I don't have any information regarding Edwin Santos or his preferences, such as whether he likes broccoli or not. My purpose is to provide information and assistance to the best of my abilities.