Thread: Wooden plane worth fixing?

Wooden plane worth fixing?

One of my sons-in-law inherited this plane from his grandfather.

IMG_5637.jpg

IMG_5638.jpg

Are planes like this typically worth fixing? Or should he just dust it for display?

Blog Entries
    Other than being dirty and stained that plane looks in better condition than do many an old woody.

There doesn't appear to be any splits in the wood and the mouth doesn't have signs of being overly opened.

Maybe a light cleaning with some furniture cleaner or my favorite:

Howard Feed-N-Wax.jpg

It is also possible to mix up your own concoction with mineral oil, bee's wax and/or carnauba wax.

It would be wise to avoid sandpaper.

whether it is put on display or used in the shop depends on the owner. It could do both.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Well, I have a number of old wood planes. Some are worth fixing, and some are not. The ones I may fix, I would put a new sole on them. Many videos on how to do that, and the standard wood glues will make a pretty much life time glue joint. You can also cut down the sides and put panels on the sides, or get fancy and dove tail the sides and new sole on the plane. Some, I will take and scrap them, and start over. I don't want them for show and collecting dust, I want them for using. For sentimental purposes, you might want to replace sole and sides and keep the 'core' of the old plane.

robo hippy

I agree with Jim. That plane looks perfectly serviceable, if a bit dirty. I have doubts that it was new when his grandfather got it. Clean it up a bit, sharpen the blade, flatten the bottom if needed, and put it back to work.