Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Makita cordless tool

New Makita cordless tool

This might be the most useful cordless tool ever!

https://www.slashgear.com/1421475/ma...maker-camping/
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

The whole cordless tool industry continues to come up with so many new ways to use their battery systems; it seems like Makita and Milwaukee are leading the pack (pardon the expression) for these kewel ideas.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    While looking up my old favorite for making coffee or preparing dinner while camping, it shocked me how much my old Svea stove goes for these days.

Svea Stove.jpg

Back in the day these were maybe $20 or so. Now they are up over $100 and ebay has vintage models listed above $200.

I'm not sure where my old one is, but it was a nice little camp stove.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

They make a microwave now too...

This would be great ice fishing in the bob house.

Phil

Blog Entries
    That Makita Is Rad. I love Jims stove too. I am partial to the Trangia spirit burner. I had high hopes for this old Sterno outfit but ended up recycling it. I don't know if it will show in the image but the workshop scene on the packaging is neat.

IMG_1458.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-10-21 at 4.18.11 PM.jpeg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 10-21-2023 at 5:25 PM. Reason: Found the workshop image on the web

Knowing that turning electricity into heat is an instant battery drain, I had to look up the Makita,
    "Brews up to (3) 5 oz. cups of coffee on a single 5.0Ah LXT battery charge (battery not included) "

They need to do much better than that, IMO

Or you can make coffee at home and pour it into to a plastic bottle. That is how we make iced coffee on snow trips Electric cars do not allow cooking on the manifold. My wife likes her rechargeable vest.
    Bill D

This is not a new concept. Makita has had an 18 volt coffee maker for some years.

Blog Entries
    I hope a toaster is forthcoming. I spent June through October with no connection to the grid and getting toast made just right took a while to figure out. I bought an 18 volt Ryobi drill, circular saw, and reciprocating saw for the project. The drill was used the least because I had my 9.6 v Makita from 1987. I always reach for it first. The Ryobi saws feel like toys but they preformed just fine. I had to keep reminding myself "this toy will take a finger off in a jiffy". I managed to keep everything charged with one 15 watt solar panel until the path of the sun dropped below the trees and the days got short. After that I occasionally had to charge in the van.

It's nice that there are these new dedicated "appliances" coming about, but there is even more utility available because of the large battery power stations like Milwaukee offers that can power normal 120v tools and, dare we say, countertop appliances out on the jobsite and campground.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I was considering getting this for long road trips. https://a.co/d/4hHSyOj

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    While looking up my old favorite for making coffee or preparing dinner while camping, it shocked me how much my old Svea stove goes for these days.

Svea Stove.jpg

Back in the day these were maybe $20 or so. Now they are up over $100 and ebay has vintage models listed above $200.

I'm not sure where my old one is, but it was a nice little camp stove.

jtk

I also still have the old Svea stove with many fond memories.

This is the modern replacement- efficient and tidy, if not quite the firepower of a gas stove. (this a knockoff of the original Jetboil) This and a little french press will brew 2 cups of coffee in about 5 minutes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F2VP353...3ace82f2c&th=1

AFAIIK No electric vehicle comes with connections for welding leads.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    AFAIIK No electric vehicle comes with connections for welding leads.
    Bill D
    I did look into using the Prius for a 120 V power source. It can be done but the parts were way more than an inverter. Unfortunately I did not have my big inverter or a big battery bank for the off grid project. I bought a 1000 watt Ryobi inverter and could run a shop vac if I turned it on with short pulses. With the van running I could vacuum for 1/2 an hour before both batteries got low.