Thread: 5”, 8-hole hook and loop sanding disks

5”, 8-hole hook and loop sanding disks

I rarely sand anymore, but I have a quick job with 2’ and 4’ 1x4 pine and I’d like to give the 32 boards a once-over with my random orbital sander. A few years ago my old Porter-Cable sander gave out, and I replaced it with a Bosch. The P-C had five vent holes, while the Bosch has eight. I have half-used boxes of 5-hole Mirka disks — one an assortment with 50, 80, 150, 180, and 220 and the other a box of only 320. These grits have suited my needs well.

I’ve been limping along with the 5-hole disks, but I figure that 8 holes would make dust collection more efficient, so I’m thinking about leaving the 5-hole disks behind and moving to 8. Ideally, I’d like to match the grit collection without needing to buy lots of individual boxes.

I haven’t bought sanding disks in forever. On first try, Mirka seems hard to buy in an assorted grit “hobbyist” box. There are a lot of very cheap brands unknown to me floating around Google — I’m wary of those. Can someone recommend a quality brand with assorted grits and 8 holes? I want to buy once and be happy with the product every (infrequent) time I use it.

personally, I have fallen in love with the 3M Xtract disc. No holes to line up, just slap it on, They do have assorted packs, at least when I bought mine they did. These disc are amazing to san with. With a good vac, there is not much dust that escapes. They last longer than conventional disc, ane relively inexpensive.

https://taytools.com/products/copy-o...cd8a863c&_ss=r
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Klingspor.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eure View Post
    personally, I have fallen in love with the 3M Xtract disc. No holes to line up, just slap it on, They do have assorted packs, at least when I bought mine they did. These disc are amazing to san with. With a good vac, there is not much dust that escapes. They last longer than conventional disc, ane relively inexpensive.

https://taytools.com/products/copy-o...cd8a863c&_ss=r
    +1 on the 3M disks. Excellent lifespan and dust collection.

With the Xtracts, make sure you put a backing pad between the abrasive and the sander's plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Rochkind View Post
    With the Xtracts, make sure you put a backing pad between the abrasive and the sander's plate.
    What do you recommend? I only see soft foam pads...which I am not sure would be the best for sanding flat surfaces.
    Chris

These go between the sander's pad and the Xtract sanding disc to make the sander's pad last longer.
    https://taytools.com/products/3m-ran...31997924900951