Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Wood for an Outdoor Bench

I once did something similar to what you describe. I used white oak and put a marine varnish finish on it. It’s held up well.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I only used white oak on a few outdoor projects.
    I didn’t like the way it weathered it turned almost black. If the op uses white oak on his bench slats all the fasteners will need to be stainless steel.
    Western red cedar will corrupt regular steel bolts but not as bad. It also weathers very nicely it doesn’t need any finish.
    WRC is really in the cypress family. Bald cypress would also be a good choice
    Good Luck
    Aj

Thanks for all the thoughts. Of the options that are easily available to me, it sounds like I’ll decide between western red cedar and white oak. The point about stainless fasteners for the oak is well taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I only used white oak on a few outdoor projects.
    I didn’t like the way it weathered it turned almost black. If the op uses white oak on his bench slats all the fasteners will need to be stainless steel.
    Western red cedar will corrupt regular steel bolts but not as bad. It also weathers very nicely it doesn’t need any finish.
    WRC is really in the cypress family. Bald cypress would also be a good choice
    Good Luck
    I've some outdoor furniture I made out of cypress in the 90s still around and doing nicely. Without any finish on them. Would totally use it again.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Old Growth Redwood sounds perfect as this is in California. Contact Far West Forrest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Covering wood with canvas and then painting it works well. It was used long ago on ships . Used to be a pretty common practice for
    porches . 1890 is the earliest mention of painted canvas that I’ve seen for porches. The adhesive is usually paint or glue.
    Now it’s never suggested in magazines…..and that’s where I first read about it. Lot of good stuff is , I think , snuffed by mags to keep
    the modern stuff cranking out more modern stuff. Lot of ‘new’ ideas are found in old books !
    We call that poor man's fiberglass. popular on diy teardrop campers

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    We call that poor man's fiberglass. popular on diy teardrop campers
    Thanks ,Johnny. Odd ball stuff can not prosper without the help of wise workmen .

White Oak or Sapele