Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Home safe's

I have two small Sentry safes. Both are the same size physically. One is rated for media, i.e. floppy disks, cassettes, etc. and is much smaller inside as it has an extra layer of fir protection.

When I was a software developer, working from home for 20+ years, I would put my backup copies in the media safe, along with a backup copy in both of our cars. Chances of all three burning down or being stolen were slim.

For the most part now, I keep important documents in a safety deposit box at the bank, stuff is pretty well locked up and they have sprinkler systems.

My local Bank closed. When I looked to get a new safety deposit Box, I was surprised banks are starting to get away from them. A lot of banks I checked still have them but no longer rents to new customers. I got one at a different location but already getting letters for me to consider getting rid of it. They recommended I check with self storage places in my area. Sounds like they are the ones taking over the safety deposit box bizz. Did not sound like a safe option to me.

I asked the bank why they are no longer offing it. They said the vast majority of box renters lose the keys and it just too big of a deal and expense for a locksmith, they customer has to be their, Just not worth it.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    We got a fire safe from a big box store years ago and found that we had to keep desiccant in it or the paper would crumble. I have no idea how moisture gets in there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    George, I would guess you do not have any mental health issues. There seems to be a lot of people with such issues who also feel it is necessary to own guns.

Too many people think, "it won't happen here." Then it does.

jtk
    My wife is very relieved to have heard from her cousin. Her cousin was in the Spare Time Bowling Alley in Lewiston Maine when a horrible shooting happened earlier this week. The Police returned her phone to her yesterday. A member of the cousins bowling team was shot and killed.
    I continue to seek a balance between paranoia and naivety regarding gun issues.
    Best Regards, Maurice

The most common cause of gun deaths is suicide. Often this is the result of depression.There are many causes of depression. I wouldn't want a bad day to be my last so no guns in my home.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Tough subject. You need to clearly decide what you are using the device for. A waterproof / fireproof safe doesn't have to be terribly hard to break into. A security safe that is not well hidden needs to be hella-stout. Bolting to the slab and two perpendicular walls resists most brute force attacks but, wall holes can compromise (if not nullify) any water / fire resistant warranty of the manufacturer. Cast into the floor is always good for security as they resist a lot of attacks but, a waterproof version gets pricey. I took the cost of a safe and installation I could really trust for my specific purposes and realized I could rent a bank box for a lot of years for about the same cost. There is no insurance for items in a bank box so that may be a consideration.
    These are good points. It is possible to make the contents of a safe waterproof. For example you could store jewelry in tupperware containers, and I knew a guy who sealed documents and cash in Foodsaver vacuum seal bags. The 2500 lb safe mentioned above is pretty impressive.

Security devices are definitely a slippery slope. I knew one guy who told me he had two safes. One was the real deal, containing his valuables, the other with just a little bit of cash and a few other low value sundries.
    His theory was if an intruder put a gun to his head and demanded that he open his safe, he would go to the latter one and the thief would be none the wiser.
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 10-30-2023 at 10:14 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    The most common cause of gun deaths is suicide. Often this is the result of depression.There are many causes of depression. I wouldn't want a bad day to be my last so no guns in my home.
    Thanks for good advice Tom, My wife agrees. I am thinking the guns can go back to the farm and I will keep the slingshot handy. May no day ever be that bad for anyone.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 10-31-2023 at 9:43 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Good plan, suicide by slingshot is far less common.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    George, I would guess you do not have any mental health issues. There seems to be a lot of people with such issues who also feel it is necessary to own guns.

Too many people think, "it won't happen here." Then it does.

jtk
    No. unless you count the need for new tools.

It is a delicate line. But if you or anyone you know flirts with depression or anger it should be talked about.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    My wife is very relieved to have heard from her cousin. Her cousin was in the Spare Time Bowling Alley in Lewiston Maine when a horrible shooting happened earlier this week. The Police returned her phone to her yesterday. A member of the cousins bowling team was shot and killed.
    I continue to seek a balance between paranoia and naivety regarding gun issues.
    When given a choice between paranoia and naivety my answer is "Why not have it all?"

I had a 22 rifle for a few years when we were at the farm that was loaned to us to try to shoot woodchucks, but other than that I've never owned nor wished to own a gun.

I own 4 pistols (three 9mm and one 22).
    None are locked up nor are they unloaded. "An unloaded gun is dangerous". The safeties are engaged on all of them.
    I keep one by the front door, one by my bedside, one by the back door and one in my purse.
    When I drive the one in my purse comes out and goes in the driver's door "stowage slot".
    It takes the police where I live on average 10 minutes to respond to a 911 call, even for a B&E call.
    A lot can happen in 10 minutes. There may be no time to open a safe, and remove a lock on the trigger.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    I own 4 pistols (three 9mm and one 22).
    None are locked up nor are they unloaded. "An unloaded gun is dangerous". The safeties are engaged on all of them.
    I keep one by the front door, one by my bedside, one by the back door and one in my purse.
    When I drive the one in my purse comes out and goes in the driver's door "stowage slot".
    It takes the police where I live on average 10 minutes to respond to a 911 call, even for a B&E call.
    A lot can happen in 10 minutes. There may be no time to open a safe, and remove a lock on the trigger.
    Yippee Ki-Yay! I hope you are around Patty if I am slow to draw with my slingshot during a time of need. My wife loves to cycle and often does so in lonely places. She has out run some spooky, too friendly men. I have brought up teaching her to shoot, she says "No way". It is the same conflict, paranoia vs. naivety. I will stop commenting on this thread. I hope I did not violate the guidelines.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 10-31-2023 at 9:43 PM. Reason: speling & punctuation
    Best Regards, Maurice

Everyone knows the saying-

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Everyone knows the saying-

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away."
    Also: "I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six."
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”