Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Home safe's

If it is for fire protection or to keep it out of the kids hands safes are great. But if you want to keep even worst thief out a gun safe would need to be $10,000 or more. A cordless circular saw with a metal blade can have you in in a liberty gun safe in 1 minute. I deliberated for a long time over spending money. Then I realized I cared about keeping the kids out not the criminals. So I got a gun locker for $600 then got 2 more.

I do have a sentry fire safe. Which is on the lower level of fire protection. I keep it on the basement floor so it should be sufficient

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    I really only need a small one to hold some paperwork, flash drive, checks et ....maybe in a basement location. Need it to survive a fire and water . Trying to avoid safe deposit box. Thanks brian
    Speaking as someone who was developing computer systems for small businesses before the first IBM PC and for a long time after, you should always have off-site backups. Period.

Blog Entries
    Many years ago a safe deposit box was rented at my bank. The first sign of trouble should have been there system wasn't set up for me to charge it to my credit card issued by the same bank. (at the time this credit card was nationally named after the bank of issue)

Not long after that my brother picked up a four drawer file cabinet fire safe at an auction of surplus U.S. Navy items.

100_7664.jpg

My recollection is it is rated for one hour. It can be moved with a large hand truck, though at ~400 lbs it isn't easy.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

“Fireproof” is really a misnomer. It’s about time. A burning couch can have a room up to 1200°F in a couple of minutes. A fully-engulfed home can be over 2000°F. If you’re storing papers, it’s about how long the safe can keep the contents below 451°F, and if that’s long enough for the local FD to get some water on it and cooled down.

The same goes for security. It’s about time. A skilled person with the right tools will eventually get into any safe. What you really want is to guard against the most likely attacks in your area. A safe that’s easily removed from the premises will give the thief all the time in the world in his own lair to crack it. But, if it can resist removal for at least as long as the local PD response time (provided there is an alarm system that notifies them), then it may suffice.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    If it is for fire protection or to keep it out of the kids hands safes are great. But if you want to keep even worst thief out a gun safe would need to be $10,000 or more. A cordless circular saw with a metal blade can have you in in a liberty gun safe in 1 minute. I deliberated for a long time over spending money. Then I realized I cared about keeping the kids out not the criminals. So I got a gun locker for $600 then got 2 more.

I do have a sentry fire safe. Which is on the lower level of fire protection. I keep it on the basement floor so it should be sufficient
    I was thinking basement floor would be a good location for a document safe. Thanks Brian
    Brian

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Quick and easy access to the contents is on my mind. I did not want guns in the house until after I had served on our County's Grand Jury in 2006. Having to hear the details of a lot of crimes convinced me to retrieve the shotgun that I bought when I was 10.
    A weird coincidence: I spent 10 hours yesterday on my 3rd jury. A domestic assault case with the fight documented on cellphone video. We had to watch the video many times. It includes a struggle to find the keys and get the gun out of the pistol case. If there had been "quick and easy access" it would have been a murder case.
    I am going to keep thinking about how to handle the presence of guns in the house.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-20-2023 at 12:49 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging
    Best Regards, Maurice

A few years back our bank quit having safe deposit boxes. We too only needed something small. I purchased a Guardall..seemed to be well regarded by our local safe/locksmith. Its interior is 12”x12”…just enough room for us. Rated fireproof for one hour. It’s bolted to the concrete floor.

My aunt and uncle bought a house with a floor safe. It was in a closet under a trapdoor in the floor. Inside was piece of paper with the combination. I think it was unlocked so they could open it.
    BilL D.

I advise you to do research on the company who makes the safe and if it has an electronic lock understand you will not be the only person with the combination. Several articles and you tube videos out there addressing this subject and recent events that transpired.

I could put a safe inside one of our two sheds? Brian
    Brian

We had a guy in the next town over stick his gun safe in his detached garage.
    Somebody stole a tow truck, wrapped a chain around the safe and dragged it right through the side of the garage.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    I am going to keep thinking about how to handle the presence of guns in the house.
    I have a bunch. Kids have zero access and zero curiosity. I was taught to demystify them so they don't go looking. And if My wife or myself were capable of that kind of anger towards anyone we would not have them(guns) to begin with. Same goes for the people in the case you mentioned. If I were them I would have got the weapons out of the house long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    I was thinking basement floor would be a good location for a document safe. Thanks Brian
    As long as you dont have water issues.

Blog Entries
    Basements do have a potential for water problems. I had several conversations with people from Vermont recently. Basement flooding is something none of them had ever heard of until this year. One young lady was living in a hotel while her house was being dried out.

Non sequitor back to gun safety. I have decided to lock the guns up safe and hidden and get a non lethal personal protection device to keep handy.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    I have a bunch. Kids have zero access and zero curiosity. I was taught to demystify them so they don't go looking. And if My wife or myself were capable of that kind of anger towards anyone we would not have them(guns) to begin with. Same goes for the people in the case you mentioned. If I were them I would have got the weapons out of the house long ago.
    George, I would guess you do not have any mental health issues. There seems to be a lot of people with such issues who also feel it is necessary to own guns.

Too many people think, "it won't happen here." Then it does.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)