Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home safe's

Home safe's

Anyone have a home safe they are happy with? Are they really fireproof/waterproof? Trying to figure out a convenient place to put one. Thanks brian
    Brian

We had a small safe but outgrew it. Then switched to a tall gun safe having shelves. Never had a fire or water so cannot comment on that aspect. It has a keypad for entry. We are very happy with it. No way one guy or maybe even two regular people are going to carry it out. I would buy a gun safe again without hesitation.

I'm using my Grandfather's. It weighs about 2500 pounds judging by my front end loader could barely lift it, and needed its own foundation under the floor in the office. At first I thought all the weight was steel, but when we took the panel off the inside of the door to oil the lock, half of the weight is fire clay. It was new in 1890 and about four feet tall.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 10-17-2023 at 6:06 PM.

Have one that fits between the studs but interior space is limited. At best is fire and water resistant, certainly not fire or water proof by any stretch of the imagination. If you are really looking for good, broad protection then this is not what you want.

I have a firearm safe that is bolted to the concrete pad. It is both fire and water resistant. It offers good fire protection to a point. If it is subject a typical urban fire where the FD quickly arrives the contents will likely survive. If it is subject to an inferno, the contents will be cooked.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Tough subject. You need to clearly decide what you are using the device for. A waterproof / fireproof safe doesn't have to be terribly hard to break into. A security safe that is not well hidden needs to be hella-stout. Bolting to the slab and two perpendicular walls resists most brute force attacks but, wall holes can compromise (if not nullify) any water / fire resistant warranty of the manufacturer. Cast into the floor is always good for security as they resist a lot of attacks but, a waterproof version gets pricey. I took the cost of a safe and installation I could really trust for my specific purposes and realized I could rent a bank box for a lot of years for about the same cost. There is no insurance for items in a bank box so that may be a consideration.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-17-2023 at 7:06 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I looked into various home safes years ago. I was surprised by how little protection a "Fire Safe" provides against fire. It doesn't take much fire at all to destroy the contents of a "Fire Safe". My wife works at a bank where we get a free safe deposit box. We put any documents we want to protect in that safe deposit box. Will that safe deposit box survive a nuclear apocalypse? No, but neither will the Cheyenne Mountain Complex. Whatcha gonna do?

I switched to a safe deposit box as the small safe I had was subject to mildew. It was marginally secure from theft but the water, fire and mildew risks weren't satisfactory.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

It really matters how big a thing you want to store and how often you want to open the door. You might look at just buying a vault door and frame. Then you can build anything you want behind the door.

I have a gun safe in the basement. It serves the conventional gun safe role. Valuables/documents/computer backups are kept off site in a safe deposit box at the bank.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    I have helped several clients with purchasing, delivery, and installation of their safes. The safe salesman at our Dungarees store has a method of calculating the fire load of the building and makes an hour rating recommendation based on the home & where the safe will be within the home. I have had some neat projects creating ways to disguise the presence of some big ones. We recently inherited some guns and I am thinking we need one too. Quick and easy access to the contents is on my mind. I did not want guns in the house until after I had served on our County's Grand Jury in 2006. Having to hear the details of a lot of crimes convinced me to retrieve the shotgun that I bought when I was 10.

Liberty is the brand at Dungarees
    Liberty Safe - America's #1 Gun Safes, Fire Safes and Home Safes
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 10-18-2023 at 8:43 AM.

I really only need a small one to hold some paperwork, flash drive, checks et ....maybe in a basement location. Need it to survive a fire and water . Trying to avoid safe deposit box. Thanks brian
    Brian

Blog Entries
    I looked at Liberty's website a little more, they have a "Help Me Chose" section. I have heard sad stories from folks who have had fires and their safes did not preform as promised. A little overkill rather than taking a chance will give some peace of mind.

Which Liberty Safe Model is Right for You? | Buying a Gun Safe
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 10-18-2023 at 8:48 PM. Reason: link
    Best Regards, Maurice

There is an old assay office with a large vault in California's gold country. It is now a hotel. You can sleep inside the vault as one of the bedrooms.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    I looked at Liberty's website a little more, they have a "Help Me Chose" section. I have heard sad stories from folks who have had fires and their safes did not preform as promised. A little overkill rather than taking a chance will give some peace of mind.

Which Liberty Safe Model is Right for You? | Buying a Gun Safe
    Thanks Maurice. Brian
    Brian