Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crane day

crane day

Miles (1).jpg

When Miles calls me to say, "Want to see something cool? Come to my shop.", I do. I knew he was removing the bell tower from a meeting house in a nearby town today but I didn't know it was coming home with him. When I arrived the bell was on the ground and the belfry was being rigged with picks at the roof peak and one side to lift and rotate it from the flatbed onto a temporary wood sill frame. The unit was set on blocks briefly to remove the wall sling and flown the rest of the way to the sill, where the post tenons were wrestled into mating mortises and bracing inserted and screwed onto the frame. Miles took a ride up in a sling on the secondary line to disconnect the shackle from the main pick. Communication with the crane operator and crew member was aided by in-helmet audio gear.

The beech posts are necked down and partially rotted at the roofline, so at least one of them will be replaced and the rest repaired with dutchmen or spline tenons, plus a new roof and trim repair/replacement. There's some on-site structural repair as well.

The building was erected in 1847, but the bell is dated 1882. It was not uncommon to get the shelter up and save for a bell to come later. The bell platform was framed on top of the original roof's wood shingles, and the belfry posts landed on beams resting on the roof truss chords.

DSC_1439.jpgDSC_1446.jpgDSC_1455.jpgAttachment 508951post neck.jpgAttachment 508962DSC_1461.jpgbosun's sling.jpg
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 10-13-2023 at 10:47 PM.

The bell is suspended from open-topped journals at the top of cast iron supports bolted to a double-tenoned timber frame. It was swung with a rope in a groove in a large wooden wheel to ring the clapper, and there is also a hammer on a separate bracket. The wheel is pretty crude, with three ply felloe sections joined by cast metal plates.

DSC_1438.jpgDSC_1496.jpgDSC_1494.jpgDSC_1491.jpgwheel groove.jpgwheel bracket.jpg
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 10-13-2023 at 10:46 PM.

Whats next for this historic structure?

Inside the shop are a gate project loaded for delivery to western ME with lettering by yours truly and a pair of spruce knees slated for a covered bridge in the Mad River Valley.

DSC_1500.jpgDSC_1501.jpgDSC_1503.jpg
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 10-13-2023 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Whats next for this historic structure?
    I believe it is a community hall but am not sure of what sort of activities it houses.

Looks like a great day. Thanks for sharing.

Very cool. Thanks for sharing. Brian
    Brian

Interesting project Kevin, thanks for sharing.
    joe

I would love to see more photos of that gate project! The lettering looks great. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by John Pendery View Post
    I would love to see more photos of that gate project! The lettering looks great. Thanks for sharing.
    Funny story there. I missed getting photos before the project was shipped last week. Miles said he was taking it to Maine on Thursday, but when I returned a tracksaw to his shop on Friday it was still on the trailer. Turns out the GC on the job ignored the engineered foundation drawings and used 5/8" allthread in the piers instead of the specified 3/4" because that was the largest size at the local hardware store. "Where do you have to go to get that anyway, Portland?", said he. Plus, the knife blade brackets on the piers were bored out at 1 1/8" instead of 1", and instead of a telehandler to lift the components they had a manlift on site. Upshot, Miles brought the project back home and the install is on hold until the GC rectifies the situation.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 10-14-2023 at 11:26 AM.

All looks like fun stuff! That should be the last gate top that one needs with that copper roof.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Funny story there. I missed getting photos before the project was shipped last week. Miles said he was taking it to Maine on Thursday, but when I returned a tracksaw to his shop on Friday it was still on the trailer. Turns out the GC on the job ignored the engineered foundation drawings and used 5/8" allthread in the piers instead of the specified 3/4" because that was the largest size at the local hardware store. "Where do you have to go to get that anyway, Portland?", said he. Plus, the knife blade brackets on the piers were bored out at 1 1/8" instead of 1". Upshot, Miles brought the project back home and the install is on hold until the GC rectifies the situation.

That sounds strangely familiar to a gated farm entry I did last year. Between myself, the gc, homeowner, engineering, etc.. it felt like a never ending game of telephone and miscommunication. Everyone was happy in the end, but I was glad to get that one off my plate! I’m also terrible at documenting my work. Found one photo of it loaded for delivery.

IMG_2418.jpg
    Last edited by John Pendery; 10-14-2023 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Fixing photo

I either do everything myself, or I’m not part of the job.

Nice! interesting, thanks for sharing.

Another reason why I enjoy being an SMC member…thanks for sharing.