Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: handheld circular saw

handheld circular saw

I am replacing my 40 year old Skill 7-1/2" handheld circular saw (it still worked but I gave it away!). Prefer a corded saw over cordless. I see the pricing all over the place and am wondering if there is that much difference between the new Skill saw for around $40 and the Dewalt for around $140. It isn't that price is not an option but I would rather have a tool that will last and work well. Thoughts?

personally I prefer a worm drive saw, like DEWALT 7-1/4-Inch Circular Saw, 15-Amp, Worm Drive, Corded (DWS535B) - Amazon.com, Skil makes them also, have not used one myself. I have a Big Foot 10 1/4" and like it, I believe it is based on a Skil saw. Craftsman Professional ( long out of production) also works good for me. I have at least 5 worm drives 7 1/4, 8 1/4, 10 1/4
    Ron
    Ron

Back in the 90s I had a cheap Skil brand circular saw. I never could get straight cuts with it; even if I used a saw guide. I chalked it up to my inexperience and lack of "skill".

I'm left-handed and saw Porter Cable sold a left-handed circular saw. I was pretty poor back then so I had to save up for a long while to buy that saw. But wow, was it worth it! Upon my first use I was able to make straight cuts. Turned out the blade on the Skil saw was not parallel with the shoe making straight cuts with a saw guide impossible. The Porter Cable saw was dead on. The PC motor was also WAY more powerful so it didn't bog on anything. I still have that saw and I still use it.

As we know, Porter Cable sold out to Black & Decker who quickly shut down the quality PC tool line and slapped "Porter Cable" on a bunch of crummy Black & Decker tools. So, PC is no longer an option for me. Black & Decker also owns the Skil brand and I wouldn't even consider any tool from either brand. Phooey!

So what to do now? Easy. Buy Milwaukee. I was recently working with a bunch of construction workers and almost every one of them used Milwaukee power tools exclusively. I asked them about this and they all said they had tried multiple brands and Milwaukee beat them all. I subsequently bought a Milwaukee cordless drill to replace my DeWalt drill which had died. Wow, what a difference! Milwaukee makes a lot of really spiffy power tools. I am now convinced to go Milwaukee with any future purchase of handheld power tools.

DeWalt power tools are also pretty good, but I think the Milwaukee tools are much better. So that's my take.
    Last edited by Pat Germain; 10-11-2023 at 10:15 AM.

My worm-drive saw rarely is used--it's just too heavy for me any more. Much better is the Skilsaw 5-1/2". I use it even for cutting aluminum, with the proper blade.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

How you intend to use the saw and how often needs to be considered. I have three portable circular saws...a 1980s B&D corded (right side blade), a Bauer cordless (left side blade) and a Festool tracksaw. The first one has only really ever been used for "construction" purposes and since I got the battery saw, I'm even less likely to use it. It's unlikely I'll get rid of it, however, because it's in excellent condition and was my very first power tool ever...sentimental reasons to keep it, as it were. The second, battery powered saw, has been used for construction when my shop building was going up and for general utility around the property and occasionally cutting down a board or three in the shop instead of pulling out the miter saw. (rough lumber) It's what I grab when I need to cut something quickly anywhere on the property. The battery saw gets a surprising amount of use because it's quick to deploy and despite being a "cheap"tool, cuts well and doesn't appear to want to break. The track saw (with a tail) gets used in the shop and occasionally for home improvement tasks where it provides more utility than a regular circular saw and where dust collection matters.

So...if your need isn't for a "heavy user", the Skill replacement is worth considering. It's not likely going to be the same quality as the 40 year old one you had and the old B&D that I have, but it's going to cut. If you intend to use the saw more frequently and harder, the DeWalt or similar from other better brands is where I'd go. If your primary need is for in your shop...consider a tracksaw for the cut quality and accuracy it can bring.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    Not trying to be a jerk here but you do not need another saw that is going to last you another 40 years I would guess. Before you jump my bones I am at the age that when I buy a tool even a large box of screws I kind of chuckle because I think to my self I will never have to but that again I am good for the rest of my life.
    Strike a price point that you are comfortable with and buy a saw in that range.
    lastly here are a few links that may help your selection process.
    calabrese55

https://www.popularmechanics.com/abo...circular-saws/

https://www.woodsmith.com/review/best-circular-saw/

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

https://www.woodsmith.com/review/best-circular-saw/

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/hom...-circular-saw/

https://www.bestreviews.guide/circul...SAAEgKMk_D_BwE
    Let your hands tell the story of the passion in your heart

Quote Originally Posted by mike calabrese View Post
    Not trying to be a jerk here but you do not need another saw that is going to last you another 40 years I would guess.
    You know, I can see your point. But when I recall how miserable it was to use that Skil saw I had, I wouldn't even consider such a low-end tool unless it was for a one-time, disposable purpose. Like if I was visiting my brother in Oklahoma and needed a circular saw to help him fix a fence, I MIGHT buy a cheap Skil brand saw, used it for the day then donate it to Goodwill. But if it's going into my shop, Skil Black & Decker aren't even a consideration.

I use the saw infrequently enough that it's been about a year since I gave my old one to my sister. Now I need it to cut a plywood desktop in place. For some reason, I just don't like cheap tools. It is very true that in 40 years I will be at room temperature (or colder!). I have thought about getting a track saw on a number of occasions and I still may do that the next time I have a "calling". Having it pointed out that Porter Cable now owns Skil; that decision is made. The HD near me has a Dewalt in stock that suits my purposes. I appreciate the feedback. Thank you.

I get no pleasure from working with cheap tools or machines. On the other hand, it is a joy to work with a quality tool or machine. I will be 80 next month and I would not consider buying a tool that would only just barely last me until I died.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    I get no pleasure from working with cheap tools or machines. On the other hand, it is a joy to work with a quality tool or machine. I will be 80 next month and I would not consider buying a tool that would only just barely last me until I died.
    Very well said
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    How you intend to use the saw and how often needs to be considered.
    +1
    I've had many different brands of 7 1/4" corded saws and IME, my Milwaukee runs smoothest of anything I've ever used. Some models also come left or right blade depending on you preference.
    https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Produc.../Circular-Saws

As a West coaster, I have almost always used worm drive saws. As a bonus, they are one of the few tools apparently designed for us left-handers.

I tend to hate sidewinders, having trouble getting a straight cut, and dislike the balance, but they do spin at substantially higher rpms, which can result in a cleaner cut, especially in plywood.

Skil 77s are abundant on Craigslist for under $50, as folks abandon their corded tools.

No complaints with my Milwaukee corded unit. You may already be planning this but I suggest investing in a good quality blade(s) rather than el-cheapo ones. Freud Diablo thin-kerfs have always done well for me. Good luck in your search.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

skip thin kerf, you are following a line and if you deviate you have to correct. Thin kerf is a limp cutting tool, they work better guided by a fence.

I started on a sidewinder and got used to that feel. then asked a carpenter friend who showed me his worm drive and it looked like it belonged in a museum. I bought a skill worm same as his but it was newer black plastic. Later the old guy gave me his black and decker which was the same but much heavier, I use that for concrete work. Re doing a roof and the last one getting older I could not longer hold the black handle one out in front of me with one arm or it was a bother.

Bought the red magnesium one and it was that much lighter easier to hold one handed in front of me problem solved. It will not last as long as the black plastic handle one but be fine.
    Took a while to get used to a worm over a sidewinder but it happened and its good. I just rough cross cut 4/4 rough pine maybe 100 cuts and it worked fine in place of the radial not hooked up yet. I get worms are meant to be cutting downhill by gravity but that would be no good for what I was doing it worked well in front of me. Better than my old craftsman radial saw ever did.

The Skil worm drive 77s were specifically made for house and form framing. Accuracy was not a feature, but the thing could run 8 hours a day and last for years. If you cut goes off track, the thing is so long and heavy that it takes some effort to correct the cut. Again, slight deviations were not an issue for house framing in the 1960s.

Conversely, the sidewinders like old Porter Cable saws were more accurate on plywood cuts and did not deviate from a line and if it did, corrections were easier. If accuracy is a feature you desire.

Porter Cable made a trim saw which I have used more often than anything and was a delight to use, tracked well, and when using it with a guide or track, was a breeze.

So, I'm with Jim--what are you going to use it for?
    Regards,

Tom