Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Furnas switches

That company Furnas has been around forever and I have worked on in the past. A old company that does motor controls probably has what you need in the back room. Ebay may also be a good source and you only need one heater / thermal OL heater that is, it should be marked with the part number or size.
    Last edited by Bill George; 10-13-2023 at 8:14 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

are there part numbers on the heaters ive not taken these apart before but can do this one here. Put out feelers to a few people one on holidays one will hear back few others not around parts anymore then there are some surplus dealers;. If non pans out then will have to assimulate and change the whole thing out to magnetic

dfgdr.jpg

It looks like you can still buy the entire assembly. Ebay has at least one seller of a used Furnas 11DB3B.

so if I use that part number does that mean the heater coil value is correct as they have different number heater coils Ive seen 28 listed and 32 but they didnt put values on them ill take one apart here and see if there is a number anywhere

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    It looks like you can still buy the entire assembly. Ebay has at least one seller of a used Furnas 11DB3B.
    That is for the entire starter, all he needs is the correct OL heater element which is sold separate. Replacement is about a 5 minute job.

first electrician said dont run stuff the man factured phase is too high and likelyi took the heater coil out. second electrician measured phase to phase instead of phase to ground. He got 251 volts on the roto generated leg and said dont worry plus one other bright guy here said same only 5 percent over. then a super bright friend I had mentioned the generated phase being high sent me this.

For you guys that have huge knowledge of all this just passing this on from a friend. It shows what I was told by first one was wrong or at least the dont run the shop thing the roto took out the heater is likely wrong or maybe it did if it did the switch heater still has over 60 years on it. all three same furnas stuff and same age so even if some dont like them or say they are cheap and most seem to they did perform for a long life have had past many magnetic starters faill worst the compressor that after 35 years the contactor welded itself in the on position and the compresser did not turn off after reachiung high shut off and went way past

https://www.electram.com/1/different...-converter.php

[QUOTE=Warren Lake;3278569]so if I use that part number does that mean the heater coil value is correct as they have different number heater coils Ive seen 28 listed and 32 but they didnt put values on them ill take one apart here and see if there is a number anywhere

thanks[/QUOTE[/I]

If you turn the power off and remove the old one it has a number stamped on it someplace. Usually if your eyes are good you can read it when installed, they should all be the same. When I had my old roto phase converter on my Emco Super 11 Lathe I never paid a lot of attention to the heaters as they were factory installed.
    Last edited by Bill George; 10-13-2023 at 4:04 PM.

Bill im 67 nothing is good my mom said many years ago after 40 you will see everything changes. Are you kidding.

Actually im okay but for sure reading glasses are a must. Will take it apart and yeah turn the power off first thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    Bill im 67 nothing is good my mom said many years ago after 40 you will see everything changes. Are you kidding.

Actually im okay but for sure reading glasses are a must. Will take it apart and yeah turn the power off first thanks
    BTW your first electrician ??? did not have a clue, 3 phase is measured phase to phase for motors never to ground! We did have in the plant 277 volt lighting circuits that were 277 to neutral off a 480 volt 3 phase but that was it. I am going on 81, glasses needed for close up stuff for sure and readers work just fine. I do have bifocals if needed.

On a Rotary phase converter its normal to have one phase higher. I built mine and had it pretty well balanced as I had a bunch of old Run capacitors to swap in and out as needed to balance.

Hi Bill

I see people in all trades with different back grounds At one point had an austrian electrician apprenticed in his teens and was nearly 80. In a lifetime of work he never saw a roto, looked at the manual a few mintues said okay I get what is going on. Hes well retired now so dont bug him. still find the same with trades the one old cabinetmaker of all the older ones ive known kjew more than the others. Better apprenticeship in a town that had been bombed so in his teens making gothic church windows and six inch thick doors then in canada started at the bottom to running the jobs for a company with over 400 people. He was gifted as a teen but really he was in the right place about every time to see and learn more.

Appreciate your knowledge I will take that part out later just doing five things at once, reading glasses on.

I did email that company to say thanks for the article and they said they mostly make digital stuff now cheaper to run and better so guess more to learn depends on cost and other things as well.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 10-13-2023 at 6:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Is it actual 3 phase? If so you can get by for overload purposes just with 2 OL heaters. Why? If its three phase it will be drawing the same amperes on at least two of the three phases and for motor overload protection thats all you need. For shorts and grounds you have the C/B or fuses.
    3 OL's are required by code for 3 phase.

I guess I could take the heater out of the first switch as they are likely the same value. First switch is a fan. Havent had time to get back to it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Meyers View Post
    3 OL's are required by code for 3 phase.
    See Post #14 and I am old enough to remember that was not always the case....

I would assume the fan heaters are lower rated then the heaters for big motors.
    Bill D

Hi I haven't got there yet but will yes on that statement the two motors fan and power rise are .5 HP which is not exactly accurate as the raise motor says .34 HP I think will check. The main motor that runs the 309" belt is 4 HP

that is interesting as this machine ran for 30 years approx on a very simple 3 HP Delta TMe roto phase. Three or four years after I purchased the machine the lady called and asked me to come and pick up the roto. I did and ran three machines off it just fine even another 4 HP on the mortise machine. No fancy circuits in it just some caps. Later changed out that Roto for a 10HP same brand to be able to run up to 10 HP machines.

Ill get to the heater in the next day or two. thanks for all thoughts so far. Just haven't had time to focus

Of interest here is the second electrician to look at the switch looked at the power up and down switch. He said it made no sense needed more wires then said unless the table fall lis by gravity i said no but then thinking aboiut it next days im now pretty sure he is correct. I had pulled the motor back from the gear up and down, should not have done that but same time maybe a reason as well. I wanted to know the motor would spin free. When I pulled the motor out the power table fell right away and I just grabbed a block to support it.

This one aspect of these machines is why ill always have a stroke sander because you can drop your table you can put whole cabinets into the sander,. you can also have rails and hang off the table depending on the sander rails and you can also take bars out of the table and put a cabinet in there when you put the bars back in. Then you can sand a cabinet just the same but not have to drop the power table down.

here is the sales thing back side. It means nothing if a motor is replaced. This motor on the power rise says Bulgaria on it so either it was replaced or it was their source when this was built in Italy. Or would an Italian machine only have Italian motors. All my other ones all the motors are Italian. So listed below says .5 HP for power table if im reading correctly.

img830.jpg P2140385 power table motor.jpg
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 10-17-2023 at 1:46 AM.