Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pretty lucky guy...

Pretty lucky guy...

This video popped up in my news feed this afternoon. Guy made a mistake and came away with only a bruised thumb. He was recording at the time so you see the actual incident and then later goes thru a frame by frame accounting.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Yeah, having watched a number of videos he's usually a pretty careful guy, just made a mistake.

Yeah, I've watched his videos for several years, this video shows how quickly things can go wrong when you make one simple mistake. Kudos to Jay for sharing his mistake to remind all of us to be careful.

You have a thread on the forum today about unguarded Japanese woodworking machines, with an 89 year old women crosscutting round logs with an unguarded 20" sawblade on a table-saw, been doing it her whole life, still got all her fingers. the you have the modern youtube generation gurus with the saw-stop mindset, cant keep his mind straight to cut five piece's the same way. or concentrate to hold onto to them or feed them at a controlled rate suitable for the job. I think that there is a serious problem with people not being able to focus, maybe due to the new technology mucked up their brains, Doesn't bode well, better get saw-stop technology on everything quick.

I know plenty of people, with years of professional experience, missing fingers.. Parts of them, or with narrower ones.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-10-2023 at 10:00 AM.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Wild. I have never listened to music or had a TV on in my shop. Still have done some not thinking things over the years. No major injuries thank God. Brian
    Brian

Good video to watch, thanks for posting it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    You have a thread on the forum today about unguarded Japanese woodworking machines, with an 89 year old women crosscutting round logs with an unguarded 20" sawblade on a table-saw, been doing it her whole life, still got all her fingers. the you have the modern youtube generation gurus with the saw-stop mindset, cant keep his mind straight to cut five piece's the same way. or concentrate to hold onto to them or feed them at a controlled rate suitable for the job. I think that there is a serious problem with people not being able to focus, maybe due to the new technology mucked up their brains, Doesn't bode well, better get saw-stop technology on everything quick.
    This post had one gem wrapped up in insults and unnecessary diatribe about woodworking technology with some over obsessing about SawStop.

I’ll summarize so you can ignore the garbage: focus when you’re working in the shop

Or just watch the video as Jay makes a much better point and takes full responsibility of his actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    Was this part really necessary?.... (As it did nothing to advance your argument)
    It was as necessary as his generational comment.

Which was nothing but crass, so he deserved it.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I'm thinking no amount of focus could help that operation? I don't know of a way to safely push a thin round circle through a bandsaw on edge without a jig/carrier, looks pretty clear that it is never going to work.

Maybe the focus is pre-operation where you determine not to proceed.

Who's got the better excuse if something bad happens, huh?
    Someone day in, day out, doing the same operation...
    Or someone doing something odd enough to omit making the operation a heck of a lot safer.

I'll keep me fingers thanks.
    Kudo's for Jay to put his mistake up for others to learn, a humble act IMO.
    It's quite likely we eventually will end up with a glossary of various accidents and incidents on every machine,
    which will make things safer for those who regard the hand at the job, more important than the job at hand.

All the best folks
    Tom

I could make a list of what I would do differently to cut the same piece but that's not the point.
    He clearly was not thinking about what he was doing, for whatever reason. I hope he learned his lesson.

My point was in knowing not to do that, (*for the newcomers)
    and doing the thinking before the machine in question being powered up.

The difference being, how can that cut be done safety, even if I were to take a tumble
    vs how to mitigate the chance of accidents happening.

The former if done well, should do the thinking part...that is, when it comes to the day to day out stuff.
    That's the only lesson to take home for me.

Tom

I will add, that there are better, safer ways to teach bandsaw safety, that posting a video of your own bad judgement.

Many seem to want to pat him on the back for showing his mistakes, I disagree. You don't get extra points for being stupid.

(for the newcomers) I would much rather see someone explain how to make the cut safely. A little knowledge goes a long way towards safety in the shop.

He also openly says, that this isn't the first time this has happened to him, he may never learn.
    Thumbs down

But does that mean that this video would not be a great example to give in a link of why not to...
    instead of making a longer video enrobed in chainmail or whatnot.
    Everyone and their brother has seen folks thoroughly explaining this occurrence happening,
    and regarding the tablesaw, have seen styrofoam kickback examples, but yet it's evident that accidents or incidents keeps happening on both type saws,
    and that's regarding the seasoned pro's also.

Can't argue with you there Edward, no excuses should be made, and one should try their best in that regards.
    If you can't do it safely, then something needs to be done about it.
    You can only be truly thinking clearly when every other step is taken prior.
    Seemingly, what's regarded as the difference between incident and accident.

What else is insightful from the slow motion video, is how one doesn't react in time,
    and how he attempted protecting the punch in the face he received, and what seems would be the same irregardless of where the dangerzone was...
    I don't think you could explain that anywhere near as well, as seeing it with your own eyes.

All the best
    Tom