Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pretty lucky guy...

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    (for the newcomers) I would much rather see someone explain how to make the cut safely.
    Which he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Which he did.
    I missed that bit, if there was mention of an apparatus to hold the work, it wasn't for very long.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Which he did.
    No mention of push block
    no mention of less aggressive blade
    no mention of using a backer board with piece double-stick taped to it.
    no mention of making a jig or fixture to hold these objects

CBandsaw.JPG
    He obviously didn't learn from his previous mistakes, maybe this time he will.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    No mention of push block
    no mention of less aggressive blade
    no mention of using a backer board with piece double-stick taped to it.
    no mention of making a jig or fixture to hold these objects

CBandsaw.JPG
    He obviously didn't learn from his previous mistakes, maybe this time he will.
    Agree he could have done a much better job of describing how to do it correctly, he did a pretty good job of explaining what he did wrong. Around the 2 min mark he explains it would be better to feed the other direction to counteract the rotation force but your suggestions were missed by him. If I were doing it I would take advantage of the hole in the handle and use a scrap 2 x 6 on edge with a dowel in the handle hole to prevent rotation.

I watched the video…this is cynical, but imo this is the type of thing that content creators live for - Something shocking to show and share that wasn’t as dangerous an outcome as it could have been.

I am not of the opinion that simply sharing and talking over slow motion footage of you doing something stupid and dangerous is helpful or admirable. I use my bandsaw all the time and I’m not sure that I would ever be trying to re-saw something circular freehand without some type of sliding jig / sled that has the circular piece totally captured from rotating. If I had been in in that situation of them ending up waaay to thick, I would have just remade them to the proper thickness instead of trying some sketchy resawing with a circular object.

Freehanding that cut, even with the handle facing forward as he was initially doing is still a stupid and risky move, in my opinion. So, his proposed better way wasn’t actually safe or helpful for those hundreds of thousands watching who don’t know any better.

It is probably too much to expect most to think critically about what is being served to them by big name content creators on YT, though.
    Last edited by Phillip Mitchell; 10-10-2023 at 1:24 PM.
    Still waters run deep.

Is humanity the worse off for Jay's video, (we got to see when something bad happens, unlike some certain unscrupulous youtubers)
    and ps, the best "money shot" example *to date*, of what not to do with round stock..

So are things worse off, the exact same, or better off for it?

Agreed though, many will still likely come away from this with the wrong impression, even after reading the comments,
    should they even have bothered.

Though I've been waiting for some unbiased youtuber to have compiled accidents into some sort of collections,
    along with demonstrating things safely.
    I suppose it might still be the case of taking the horse to the water, but not being able to make them drink it.

pps, I do hope this kinda thing of wanting accidents doesn't end up being seen as some kind of positive thing, regarding safety though!.
    Tom
    Last edited by Tom Trees; 10-10-2023 at 2:04 PM. Reason: pps

Think about this:
    If he did not get a catch, he would have most likely gone about his normal method of work and no one (the newcomers) would be aware that this is not the safest way to go about this.
    The accident is the only thing that made him stop and think about it, at least for a moment.

Sure, but it’s a matter of when, not if when doing a cut like what was shown in the video, in my opinion, so bound to go wrong at some point due to statistical probability of an unsafe operation.

I’m not saying it was wrong to share the video and experience. I just wish that YT folks would take the time and effort to really also put the properly safe alternative out there for those who simply don’t know if they are going to talk about safety at all. This video was closer than some but still missed the mark, in my opinion.
    Still waters run deep.

Blacktail Studio did a video not all that long ago that focused on what can happen when body parts come in contact with a whirling blade, etc. I only saw excerpts but it was certainly eye-opening about "how fast" something can go wrong and cause catastrophic damage to hands, etc.

Jay isn't perfect, but I appreciate what he was trying to accomplish.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Jay isn't perfect, but I appreciate what he was trying to accomplish.
    Best comment in this entire thread.

OP--thanks for posting.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Blog Entries
    I saw another video a few years ago in which they were trying to cut a cookie off a short piece of a log. Just as shocking as Jay's experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post

I’m not saying it was wrong to share the video and experience. I just wish that YT folks would take the time and effort to really also put the properly safe alternative out there for those who simply don’t know if they are going to talk about safety at all. .
    Therein lies the problem with many of them, the presenters are also in the camp of "simply don’t know".
    Too many of the YT folks (and others) just don't know enough or have experience enough to understand what could happen. If you don't know, well that's fine but then you have no business showing others how to perform the same task.
    Safety briefing? Understanding the capabilities and limitations of your tools? Basic understanding of physics? These are foreign concepts to some and the not knowing, can be quite dangerous, as we just saw.

This is the problem with YT and woodworking, not enough basic knowledge too much confidence.
    (the illusion of explanatory depth) it's a problem.

I wouldn't have such an issue if this was the first time this happened but repeating the same thing is inexcusable.
    This presenter acknowledged that this has happened to him before but not as severe, yet he still didn't change his methods and went about filming another video to share as normal.

Those who praise him do him no favors. He needs to be told by people that he'll listen to and understand what he did or he will eventually, seriously injure himself, no one want's that.

This is my professional opinion, feel free to scream and yell.

IMO it's invaluable to see frame-by-frame what went wrong. I've had my bandsaw over 50 years and have made my share of mistakes but am grateful for the chance to learn from someone else's at no risk to my own fingers. I see what went wrong and I'm not really interested in how he should have done it - if I ever have a similar situation, I'll find a solution and be better prepared because of his experience. He could have done more about how to do it right but that's a tedious and slippery slope. Once you start giving instruction you have to be careful to get all the boring details because you don't know what the viewer already knows. And of course there's more than one right way to do it. Brian, thanks for posting this.

dont have a problem with it, he will save someone from possibly coming out worse. Its all the ones that don't know they don't know, that leaves people thinking that is how you do it.