Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unguarded traditional tools

I always liked that, it was a cool concept, excellent for small parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    MH: that reminds of the old short-lived Delta Uniplane.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    Takekawa planer

Attachment 508759
    Thanks, Mark. I was mistaking the nosebar for the blade, that makes more sense. As fast as the lady hogs material off those log blanks though, I am pretty sure it would take a finger down to the knuckle in short order. She didn't get to that age with all her fingers without paying attention.

I think that some people are quick to jump to conclusions. The fact that she is that old and has been doing it an incredible amount of time should tell you that it is not "overly" dangerous. If it were she would have lost her fingers 50 or 60 years ago. People who work with unguarded machines tend to pay attention to what they are doing, because they are always acutely aware of the dangers. I would guess that those that can't pay attention don't usually last long in this trade. That said the rotary planer would trim your fingernails pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Thanks, Mark. I was mistaking the nosebar for the blade, that makes more sense. As fast as the lady hogs material off those log blanks though, I am pretty sure it would take a finger down to the knuckle in short order. She didn't get to that age with all her fingers without paying attention.