Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unguarded traditional tools

Unguarded traditional tools

I love to see the immense skill in how traditional crafts were practiced, generally. Often, though, the safety features lacking in traditional shops give me pause.

This video combines both: great craftsmanship by a traditional, old woodworker in Japan, and tools that I can hardly bear to watch in use. The giant trimming knife at 2:06 to 2:45 in the video just blows my mind in the latter respect. How anyone made to age 87 with two hands and ten fingers still attached operating that machine for the purpose she does, escapes me. I think and hope that the video frame rate is reversing the apparent direction of rotation, so the thing is at least cutting against the table as a stop, but even so, I wouldn't even try to use it. Leaning into the circular saw with about 12" radius of completely unguarded blade is even more frightening, but something about the slicer really gives me the willies.

On the other side of the equation (the skilled craftsmanship), the son turning the tea caddies with his hand made, obviously meticulously sharpened tools, no fixed tool rest, and wooden friction chucks (including the caddies themselves) was a joy. Such simple tools, and skill in using them, to create an elegant and simple, functional product. Made my Sunday morning.

I totally agree with everything you said! Both glorious and terrifying! -Howard

The "Giant trimming knife" is a rotary planer, a large round disc, like on a disc sander, with two or three small slit openings, with blades slightly protruding, just like the sole of a handplane, not really very scary at all, it can only take a shaving, just like a handplane.

Screenshot 2023-10-08 115638.jpg
    Last edited by Mark Hennebury; 10-08-2023 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    The "Giant trimming knife" is a rotary planer, a large round disc, like on a disc sander, with two or three small slit openings, with blades slightly protruding, just like the sole of a handplane, not really very scary at all, it can only take a shaving, just like a handplane.

Screenshot 2023-10-08 115638.jpg
    No more dangerous than a disc sander- makes a cleaner cut too! It does appear that the fence is on the wrong side of center in this photo. Perhaps I am misunderstanding the mechanics of the tool, but it seems that rotating ccw the blades would tend to lift the work off the table. Can you comment, Mark?

The apparent direction of rotation is probably an artifact of the filming. Depending on the relation of frame rate to rotational speed, things often appear to rotate the opposite direction they are actually moving when filmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    The apparent direction of rotation is probably an artifact of the filming. Depending on the relation of frame rate to rotational speed, things often appear to rotate the opposite direction they are actually moving when filmed.
    Understood. I was referring to the first photo Mark posted, with a fence mounted right of center.

What is even more dangerous is that she uses knit gloves when pushing through the tablesaw and rotary trimming knife machines. All you need is one little snag for the blade to yank that glove forward and your whole day is ruined!

I couldn't find the video but here is a pic of a, somewhat larger, rotary plane (finger remover)

https://masu-japan.com/standard.htm

I think that these videos just "put the best forward." Does anyone have any idea as to those were injured? That Is never mentioned. Myself, I cannot believe that people have not being injured/killed using such tools.

I think that there is a knee-jerk reaction by modern day "safety sheriffs" when they see a blade or a machine that is unfamiliar.
    The person cutting the logs on the table saw, is doing one job, not moving around, not changing cuts, it is just a simple cut on a sliding table, you could do it on a bandsaw. Of course there is danger, but on the grand scale of things it's not that dangerous. Sam Maloof did far more dangerous work cutting compound unsupported cuts on the bandsaw, ever day, and we love Sam.

Screenshot 2023-10-09 115012.jpg

The "finger remover" has a tiny opening large enough for a shaving to go through! you could sand your hand down faster on a disc sander!

the rotary planer is similar to a supersurfacer.

Screenshot 2023-10-09 113916.jpg Screenshot 2023-10-09 113710.jpg

They rotate clockwise. maybe the video is showing it mirror image.

Wadkin double disc sander.

Takekawa planer

31754_016 (1).jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

MH: that reminds of the old short-lived Delta Uniplane.
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 10-09-2023 at 5:43 PM.