Thread: ​Thoughts - opinions - ideas - using a tapering-jig with a tabelsaw miter gauge?

​Thoughts - opinions - ideas - using a tapering-jig with a tabelsaw miter gauge?

Has anyone here used a tapering-jig type of device with their tabelsaw's miter gauge?

One leg clamped flat against the miter gauge face. The other leg set to the desired angle.

I think being continuously variable would be useful. And you wouldn't need to change you miter gauge's 90-degree setup.
    Howard Rosenberg

Tapering jigs typically denote small angles and best are done with a jig that slides along the rip fence. Miter jigs usually mean large angles. What you're proposing would work but would be better done in the classical way, against the rip fence. There are plenty of designs available for variable tapering jigs using the rip fence.

John

I’m with John on this. It’s possible but you’ll be limited in the length of taper IMHO.

Personally, I would have a hard time trying to use this as described.
    The base of a mitre gauge is very small and a tiny imperfection in placement or work holding could invite disaster.
    I know w my workers compensation plan wouldn’t pay off for an injury if this were done incorrectly.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

No reason it wouldn’t work but…why???

I wonder if we are not quite understanding what Howard has in mind. A quick-and-dirty sketch might help.

I've tapered hall table legs that are 3' long. I would never want to do that with a miter gauge.

While it's theoretically possible with the Incra miter gauges that go to 0 degrees, you're fixed in the distance to blade by the fact that a miter gauge rides in the MG groove. So it's really awkward to set up what you want. In reality the usefulness of that last 30-45 degrees of angle travel on those miter gauges in something I've found to be minimal, while it creates opportunities for very dangerous cuts.

Really simple to construct one-time taper "jigs" (more like long shims with a heel for pushing the piece through) from scrap plywood that work with the fence. Unless you're doing lots of different tapers all the time, building a variable taper jig or buying one seems to me like time or money not well spent.

Blog Entries
    I can imagine making a taper sled that attaches to a miter gauge. It would save the step of making T slots runners. The useable length would be limited.

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    Segmented bowl turners use a device called a wedgie sled.
    the first link shows many examples, easy to make . For your purpost you would use just one fence to have total flexibility.
    https://www.google.com/search?client...&bih=636&dpr=1
    and a super accurate version
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_qUJPm_PZ8
    calabrese55
    Let your hands tell the story of the passion in your heart

Mike Calabrese - that's the type of object I was thinking of. I was thinking continuously variable vs fixed angles but only for short angles and miters. I'd use my taper sled for long tapers etc. Thanks for this.
    Howard Rosenberg

I set my mitre gauge by placing it upside down in the mitre groove and pushing it against the front fence rail with the adjustment a little loose. Then tighten the knob. If your fence rail is 90 degrees to the mitre slot so is you mitre gauge.
    BilL D