Thread: Flush drawer cabinet

Flush drawer cabinet

I finally finished up the test run cabinet I had been working on - it's a test since the pattern will eventually be used for a couple of bedside cabinets. This one will live in our guest room and hold sheets and towels and the like.

The wood is bubinga and the drawer slides are blum tandem soft close.

Overall I'm happy with the design (aka my wife is happy with the design). I'll miter the dovetails next time. The concave built-in pulls work decently, but I'm not 100% sold on them. The wife asked if we could just go solid front with push-to-open closures, but I'm afraid that it would just look too monolithic and heavy without the pulls breaking up the face.

Finish is simple danish oil.

Thanks to everyone for help figuring out the flush drawer fronts. I confess that way too many holes were drilled on the inside as I tested placement of the slides, but that's all invisible in the end product.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Aaron: very nice: simple and elegant! But I suspect you did not intend to post this in the classified section, unless you are offering this beautiful piece of work for sale

Wow you must not be allergic to Bubinga. Just looking at you pics gives me a reaction I can’t imagine how heavy it must be.
    Nice work with a very difficult wood.
    Aj

It gave me less of a reaction than sapele does. But it is most definitely...sturdy.

There's a bit of tear-out in the top drawer face. It was only noticeable when I moved the piece up into the sun...but it's the sort of thing only a woodworker is really going to notice (but it's always going to annoy me...so a reminder to check in better light next time).
    Last edited by Aaron Liebling; 10-06-2023 at 9:30 PM.

If you decide to dump this item because of the through dovetails on the top you just send me a note and I will write you a check. I think it looks fabulous from here.

Very nice outcome.

For what it's worth, I'm one of those folks that can't handle bubinga due to a severe reaction which I found out about the hard way on the first and only project I used it. I really feel bad about it because it's truly a beautiful species.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...