Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wixey planer readouts?

Wixey planer readouts?

I am considering getting a Wixey portable planer readout.

Anybody have experience with them? Pros or cons?

My planer is an early Ridgid 1300 series IIRC.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I had one on my Delta 22-580 lunchbox. I now have the remote one on my Grizzly G0453Z 15". No complaints. The Delta had a pretty accurate OEM readout. The Grizzly is horrible.

I put a Wixey one on my 15 inch Grizzly planer years ago when converted it to a carbide cutterhead. It works well and seems to be accurate and repeatable. I can't get to my shop right now to check the model but one of the things I like about it is that it takes regular batteries (can't remember if they're AA or AAA) instead of those button batteries that don't last to long.

Decent for the price. Reads out only to .005"- if you want finer resolution look at Accurate Technologies. I had an IGaging dro that was very difficult to calibrate and eventually gave up the ghost.

I put one on my Dewalt 733. I've loved having it on there. Wasn't too difficult to install and much easier to read than the ruler scale that came on the machine.
    It's called golf because all the other 4-letter words were taken

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Decent for the price. Reads out only to .005"- if you want finer resolution look at Accurate Technologies. I had an IGaging dro that was very difficult to calibrate and eventually gave up the ghost.
    I hate to disagree but, What you see, is not what you get.
    this seems to be true for most all of these digital tools.

http://www.wixey.com/remote-planer/index.html
    Resolution:
    Decimal = .005 in.
    Fraction = 1/32 in.
    Metric = .1 mm
    Accuracy:
    Decimal = +/- .002 in.
    Fraction = +/- 1/500 in.
    Metric = +/- .05 mm

Maybe I am dense, but what good is the claimed accuracy if the readout does not have matching resolution to display said accuracy? I find no value or comfort in those accuracy claims and would be hesitant to trust it beyond what I could see in the resolution. Maybe I am misunderstanding something? I have Accurate Technology / ProScale DROs and they do have 0.001” resolution and I find it to be accurate when verified with calipers,etc and a properly calibrated machine.
    Still waters run deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    I hate to disagree but, What you see, is not what you get.
    this seems to be true for most all of these digital tools.

http://www.wixey.com/remote-planer/index.html
    Resolution:
    Decimal = .005 in.
    Fraction = 1/32 in.
    Metric = .1 mm
    Accuracy:
    Decimal = +/- .002 in.
    Fraction = +/- 1/500 in.
    Metric = +/- .05 mm

If your point is that the fractional readout is very coarse in relation to the claimed accuracy, I agree. I have used one of these on a planer and once calibrated it basically performed as advertised- I found I could get dimensions within +/- .0025" using the digital inch mode. Higher precision costs more.

I think Amazon will have Wixley on sale for prime days in early October. Not really sure if the price is mush lower or not.
    Bill D

I've got it on a ShopFox W1742H 15" planer, and it's been great. No complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    If your point is that the fractional readout is very coarse in relation to the claimed accuracy, I agree. I have used one of these on a planer and once calibrated it basically performed as advertised- I found I could get dimensions within +/- .0025" using the digital inch mode. Higher precision costs more.
    The point, is that the reading is one value and the actual accuracy of measurement is another.

I have one of the older models and it works fine, however I don't worry myself about .005" .

I can live with an accuracy of 1/200!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I am considering getting a Wixey portable planer readout.

Anybody have experience with them? Pros or cons?

My planer is an early Ridgid 1300 series IIRC.
    100% Pro for me. I installed one on my 15" Grizzly back 3 or 4 years ago, I love the thing. Very accurate, if you need to plan some stock later in your project just go back to the original setting. One of those tools that you wish you would have purchased earlier but just didn't know what you were missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    Maybe I am dense, but what good is the claimed accuracy if the readout does not have matching resolution to display said accuracy? I find no value or comfort in those accuracy claims and would be hesitant to trust it beyond what I could see in the resolution. Maybe I am misunderstanding something? I have Accurate Technology / ProScale DROs and they do have 0.001” resolution and I find it to be accurate when verified with calipers,etc and a properly calibrated machine.
    If I had to guess, they mean that the accuracy is +/- 0.002" of what is displayed. So if the screen reads 1.025", then the true measurement will be between 1.023" and 1.027".

Quote Originally Posted by Bert McMahan View Post
    If I had to guess, they mean that the accuracy is +/- 0.002" of what is displayed. So if the screen reads 1.025", then the true measurement will be between 1.023" and 1.027".
    That is exactly how I understand it.

While I'm not really concerned about what value is in the third decimal place on thickness gauges, on angle meters, it can be an issue.

Many of the angle cubes and angle gauges have these type of values listed.

• Resolution - 0.05 degrees
    • Accuracy - +/- .2 degrees

Not acceptable when trying to fit corners or make multi-sided round objects