Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting old wood floor

They were also apparently used as cobble"stones" in some city streets. Could have sworn this was also done in Cincinnati Ohio, but I can't find a pick. Here's one from Philly.

https://www.reddit.com/r/interesting...ved_with_wood/

Blog Entries
    My boss in the 1980s had a stack of this N.O.S, under a tarp in the back yard of his sisters house on Mission Hill in Jamaica Plain MA. The end grain blocks were screwed to 1 inch tongue & grove flooring. The blocks themselves were tongue and grove as well but the tongue was a separate strip of wood. Each assemblage was 3x3x48 inches.

I do not see any web images for the type described above but I found this site:

Industrial End Grain Wood Block Flooring - Jennison Wright Co.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 10-13-2023 at 7:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I was in a building once that had been a factory in the old days. It had a wood floor like this that was strong enough to handle forklift traffic.
    Forklift traffic? Pffft. There is (or was a couple decades back) a Lockheed-Martin facility in Great Neck, NY, that was built in WWII. Its floor was similar, but scaled up quite a bit. But they were assembling tanks there...dunno if it could handle an Abrams, but it certainly didn't have any problems with the tanks of that era.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Forklift traffic? Pffft. There is (or was a couple decades back) a Lockheed-Martin facility in Great Neck, NY, that was built in WWII. Its floor was similar, but scaled up quite a bit. But they were assembling tanks there...dunno if it could handle an Abrams, but it certainly didn't have any problems with the tanks of that era.
    An Abrams has less than 14 PSI fully loaded. A Sherman had about 13 psi if I remember correctly

Have been around and worked on a number of those factory floors. It's surprising that they worked so well that they became common despite the cost and vulnerability to water damage. I guess they are more reliable when oily because that sealed them somewhat, but in abandoned areas they really went bad, with humps and failures everywhere. It was a sad sight.

Minor humps sometimes recovered and sometimes weight helped but other times replacement was necessary.
    Last edited by Tom Bender; 10-26-2023 at 8:00 AM.

Two anecdotes about wood decks in case anyone might be interested:

- In the early 1990s I worked with a guy from Boston. He told me the hardwood floors the old Boston Garden used for Celtics games were very worn in certain areas. Legend had it the Celtics players could use this to their advantage to bounce the ball in certain ways which the opposing team could not predict. (Not sure if it's true, but it's a good story.)

- In 1989 I was an active duty US Navy sailor. I was sent to USS Iowa for temporary duty. When I came aboard at the pier in Norfolk, there were a lot of contractors replacing part of the teak deck. For those who may be unaware, Iowa was built during WWII when the Navy still used teak decks. (On modern ships, the decks are painted steel or non-skid.) I think all the teak had been replaced when the ship was recommissioned in the early 1980s, but some of it was showing wear. The contractors had small band saws which they were using to custom fit new teak pieces into the deck.

Last September I visited the USS Iowa again. It is now a museum ship in San Pedro, CA. Unfortunately, the teak decking is looking pretty clapped out these days. Much of the deck is now covered in plywood. It's a shame. That teak deck was really cool. But I understand the Iowa museum is a non-profit and the cost of replacing teak decking must be astronomical these days.
    Last edited by Pat Germain; 10-26-2023 at 1:15 PM.

Blog Entries
    The quirky floor at the old Boston Garden was a real thing. Even some of the fans could recognize when a play was made using one of the dead spots. I think a token amount of the old floor is mixed in with the new floor at the Fleet Center AKA TD Garden. My brother in law can do very funny and accurate sports cast of many a game from the 1970s and 80s . Who was it that had the nick name "The Round Mound Of Rebound" Charles Barkley. Games against Philly always got the fans very wound up. Celtic fans are wound up to begin with. Our youngest sure has become one.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 10-26-2023 at 2:37 PM.

When I worked a summer at Hershey Cocoa back in the early 1970's, the machine shop floor, except for the pads the machines sat on, were some sort of end grain cobble arrangements. I read that in in mid 1800's to about 1910, many of the streets in Washington DC were of wooden cobbles. Only the wealthiest neighborhoods had stone cobbles. Imagine those hot humid summers and all that horse dung flowing down the streets in the thunder storms that happen every other day in August.

best floor I saw was a pegged plank floor. the planks were red oak and the pegs were black walnut. That was one real eyecatcher. The fellow that put in the floor cut and milled the lumber into planks, then had it kiln dried and milled to size and even bought a machine to make the walnut dowels. Said it took him almost two months to install it and another month of sanding and finishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    . I read that in in mid 1800's to about 1910, many of the streets in Washington DC were of wooden cobbles. Only the wealthiest neighborhoods had stone cobbles.
    I lived in DC in the mid-1980s. Good thing the wooden cobbles were gone by then. Every night people would set fire to tires and parked cars. Can't imagine the carnage if wooden streets had caught fire. Back then driving through parts of DC were like being in a Mad Max movie. I would have to dodge open fire hydrants, burning tires and smoldering cars. This was only a few blocks away from the Smithsonian.
    Last edited by Pat Germain; 10-26-2023 at 3:11 PM.

Blog Entries
    Most of the city's out east were a mess 40 & 50 years ago. I moved to the South End of Boston in 1981. It was very poor and very dangerous. Most of the houses were boarded up. You could buy one for $1 if you paid the back taxes. It has changed a lot. I sanded a lot of old floors for the few brave souls that were interested in urban renewal back then. They were not hardwood but could be made to look good with enough polyurethane. It would be fun to come across one of those end grain floors. I bet they would be hard on sandpaper if you tried to pretty one up.
    Best Regards, Maurice