Thread: I paid good money for filter dust

I paid good money for filter dust

I was having problems with algae in the pool. Got it killed but hard to catch in the sand filter. They sold me filter aide. turns out is is just finely powdered cellulose, looks like baking flour. Your pour some into the intake and it coat the filter media so it catches finer stuff. Just like a dust cake makes a ww filter work better. Up to a point.
    Bill D

Bill - I used to be in the pool and spa business. What you bought is probably Diatomaceous Earth (DE). It is pretty effective but I wouldn't use too much of it as it can start to clog your sand. Make sure you do a good back flush.
    Regards,

Kris

The bag is labelled 100% cellulose. So all wood dust no DE.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Diatomaceous Earth is also good for killing ants. It scratches the exoskeleton and dehydrates them.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Diatomaceous Earth is also good for killing ants. It scratches the exoskeleton and dehydrates them.

jtk
    And cockroaches. And it's not harmful to humans in reasonable amounts if you don't inhale it.

Boric acid powder is also good for killing bugs. terro is just sugar and boric acid. they eat the sugar and go home and feed each other boric acid. They also clean the dust off each other.
    Terro's trick is the ratio of sugar is high enough to keep them coming back but the boric acid level is low enough they get home all fat and happy.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Cellulose is found in many forms. The cellulose used in your pool filter may be quite different than what is in your dust collector.

Cellulose is the most abundant organic compound found on earth. Cotton is the purest form at ~90% cellulose.

Many years ago there was a controversy caused by one national brand of bread listing cellulose in their ingredients. It was used as a way to increase the fiber content. People complained about saw dust in their bread. It was actually a natural byproduct of processing wheat.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I once saw some high fiber bread that listed "flour from trees" as an ingredient. Too Funny!

I saw some bed sheets made from bamboo for sale at Target. I read the label and it just meant they made rayon from bamboo. instead of wood.
    Bill D