Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I bought this but once it arrives it now scares me

I bought this but once it arrives it now scares me

SPEflushtrim.jpgIMG_20231005_200325_01.jpg

It's as tall as a 12oz soda can....Flush trim bit
    Last edited by Keith Christopher; 10-06-2023 at 11:16 AM.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

That is one scary looking bit! What are you planning to trim with it?
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

What are the actual dimensions?

1/2 " shank, 5.25" over length

3.5" bearing to bearing, 1.25 diameter.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

I once bought a double bearing flush trim bit that was bigger that I expected. It scares me every time I run it, and it's only about half the size of that bit. I have to be careful to look at a ruler or tape measure when I buy bits online.

That bit looks like an absolute monster.

I wouldn't be concerned about breakage, with a cutting length/diameter ratio of less than 3. That is a tall cutter though, on a small shank, with a potential for removing a lot of material and for kickback. I would be cautious with a bit of that size in a handheld router. Cut close to the line so you are trimming a minimal amount. If you are often working with stock that thick you might want to use a shaper, if not a shorter bit would do. For comparison, I have a 3" diameter by 3" tall flush trim insert cutter running on a 1 1/4" shaper spindle.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 10-06-2023 at 1:36 PM.

Can you provide a manufactures link to the bit?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

The YouTube channel "Make Something" also had a vid on this bit and I believe it scared him too

https://bit.ly/4657S8Y

This format is indeed scary looking but there's a reason it's so massive...the length is required so that you can effectively use it for both top bearing and bottom bearing template routing on thicker material. An example might be a guitar body or a thick cutting board. I'm seriously considering getting one, even though I do a lot of my cutting on the CNC. There are just a bunch of tasks where having a stout and massive flush trim solution for the router table will be handy.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    There's a tool for that: a shaper. I wouldn't trust such a bit in a router whether it was hand held or table mounted.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    I wouldn't be concerned about breakage, with a cutting length/diameter ratio of less than 3. That is a tall cutter though, on a small shank, with a potential for removing a lot of material and for kickback. I would be cautious with a bit of that size in a handheld router. Cut close to the line so you are trimming a minimal amount. If you are often working with stock that thick you might want to use a shaper, if not a shorter bit would do. For comparison, I have a 3" diameter by 3" tall flush trim insert cutter running on a 1 1/4" shaper spindle.
    Why not worry about breakage? Lots of images on Google.
    Screenshot 2023-10-06 at 1.18.08 PM.png

snapped bits before non of them went anywhere just stayed in the wood or fell on the floor. Being in a shop when shaper guy throws knives thats not ideal.

whiteside ultimate flush trim is also 1/2 shank, but only 7/8 diameter and 1 1/8 CL, that seems more reasonable for a router

woodpeckers put out a competitor spiral double bearing that is 2" CL, but trimming 2" of material seemed too large for routing to me and I skipped ordering one

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    That is one scary looking bit! What are you planning to trim with it?
    Fingers, if it were me