Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench machinist vise recommendations?

Bench machinist vise recommendations?

I could use a machinist bench vise in the 4-6" range for general use. Are any of the modern ones worth the money? Irwin, Bessey, Yost? I know LV sells a couple, but not sure who they're made by. Any recommendations? I'm in an area where it's improbable to score anything locally.
    Last edited by Tyler Bancroft; 10-06-2023 at 12:58 PM.

I've got one of the Jorgenson ones from a few years back, got it on sale at Woodcraft. No problems with it; would vouch.

Are you looking for a woodworking vice? Or a machinist bench vice? They are different.

If you are wanting a machinist vice for extreme situations where you need to take a sledge hammer to it, I found that this video was very educational. Not sure if you are in the market for a $2k vice, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CubcmE4kt78

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdfu6ZJHYXc

If you're just looking for something to hold material for filing/drilling, the low cost vices are probably all just fine:

https://www.amazon.com/WILTON-TOOLS-...dp/B001022GRM/

https://www.amazon.com/Forged-Steel-...0BPK21LHY?th=1

I have no direct experience with any of these vices.
    Last edited by Aaron Inami; 10-06-2023 at 2:08 PM.

For a machinist vice get a Wilton. I have two. One my dad bought in 1959 and one I bought in 1972. They hold up. Jim

For a machinist vise make sure the screw is covered by the moving jaw slide arm. Cheap vises the screw is on top of the slide and gets coated in metal swarf. This causes jamming and premature wear.
    Bill D

I have this one, like it a lot. Very flexible with the rotating head for clamping round objects

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For a machinist vice, I use this one on my DP:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got this Yost vise a number of years ago for the bike bench. It's 4", relatively lightweight, and was inexpensive.

Quite impressed with the quality, especially for the price. They make a whole range of sizes. The pic is from when it was new.

I've had one of the rotating head ones in the work truck forever, and it has been good. I would not hesitate to get one, maybe 5", for shop use.

IMG_1688.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Inami View Post
    Are you looking for a woodworking vice? Or a machinist bench vice? They are different.
    Sorry, my bad, a machinist vice. Edited the original post.

I bought a Yost when my old bench vise died and have been happy with it. I use it mainly to hold brass for cutting, so fairly light duties but repetitive.

Quote Originally Posted by James Baldwin View Post
    For a machinist vice get a Wilton. I have two. One my dad bought in 1959 and one I bought in 1972. They hold up. Jim
    I like Wiltons, but there are at least a couple lines now. The lower-end Wiltons are no longer made out of ductile cast iron, and the base plate is just stamped steel. If you're not going to use them to hold work for hammering, probably not a big issue.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I was going to point that out. It looks like the Wilton vices have a very large range in prices for a 4" or 6" vice. I would pay very close attention to the details of how these vices are made. I assume there is a huge difference between a $165 Wilton vice that is probably close to Grizzly/Harber-Freight level tool and a $1k+ Wilton "real iron" hardened steel vice. I suppose it depends on how extreme your vice situation needs to be.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    A lot depends on your budget. Most of the machine shops I worked in over the years had Wilton bullet vices. They are almost bulletproof but over the top expensive today. I have a very nice USA made Colombian vice I bought of of CL for $100.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    A lot depends on your budget. Most of the machine shops I worked in over the years had Wilton bullet vices. They are almost bulletproof but over the top expensive today. I have a very nice USA made Colombian vice I bought off of CL for $100.
    I got all excited last week, a bullet vise on Facebook listing for $350. So I clicked on it. No it was a bunch of vises, the bullet was $1300.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I got a good deal on a Record vise closeout from Lowes. Now someone bought the record name and is relabeling made in china vises. Not nearly the same quality as the English made ones.
    BilL D

I’ve got a Charles Parker, probably between 80- 100 years old. It’s a beast. A search on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace will likely turn up a few. You won’t be sorry.