Thread: Current recommendations for deck stains?

Current recommendations for deck stains?

I'm finally finishing my deck and will be putting on KDAT decking this weekend, and hope to stain in the next month or so.

Does anyone have any strong opinions about deck stains? There are all kinds of threads about different versions, but none that I found within the last year. Formulas change over time with company buyouts, material costs, environmental regulations, etc. so something that worked great for someone in a 10 year old post may not work so well today.

I'm looking for something that'll show SOME of the wood grain through it, but it's just pine decking so it's nothing special. I'd rather stay away from the 100% solid "paint-like" looks that some products have.

(Mods, please move this if I put it in the wrong subforum.)

The best product I've used is called OneTime, because you only have to do it once for up to seven years. It is a 100% acrylic product that cures from sunlight, is almost transparent, and will never chip or peel. It has been the ONLY product to survive on my Ipe' deck w/o getting black mold on it over the winter. The color after 3 years still looks great.

John

Thanks John. Some of the Amazon reviews have people complaining it either doesn't cure completely, or it kinda stays oily/sticky for a while. Did you run into any of that?

I used One Time on my dock and highly recommend it.
    If you use One Time you may want to order some liquid samples to test the colors.

Regards,

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Bert McMahan View Post
    Thanks John. Some of the Amazon reviews have people complaining it either doesn't cure completely, or it kinda stays oily/sticky for a while. Did you run into any of that?

People often don't follow directions, and I suspect that was the case with those folks. You apply only what the surface can absorb and wipe off any that doesn't. You can't leave a film on the surface. You also need to apply it when it's not going to rain for a day or so (can't remember for sure what the directions say). And you have to apply it only to surfaces outdoors so that sunlight, even indirect sunlight, can get to the coated surfaces. It cures by exposure to UV light, like composite tooth fillings. If you do it in a garage, for example, it's not likely to cure properly or will take a very long time.

Just follow the directions and I think you'll be pleased. The stuff's not cheap, but it works and is durable.

John

I see, thanks. I've also been looking into Stain & Seal Experts which have some decent reviews.

My deck doesn't get a ton of direct sunlight due to tree coverage, so I"m a little nervous but it's not like it's under a cover or anything. Just a lot of trees and house shade.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert McMahan View Post
    I see, thanks. I've also been looking into Stain & Seal Experts which have some decent reviews.

My deck doesn't get a ton of direct sunlight due to tree coverage, so I"m a little nervous but it's not like it's under a cover or anything. Just a lot of trees and house shade.
    You don't need direct sunlight. The directions should allay any fears.

John

I'm in Colorado at el. 5600', lots of sun and UV. Low humidity, hot summers, cold winters.
    I just resanded my deck and applied Cabot Australian Timber Oil. The old formula, I have not tried the new VOC formula.
    I've been using ATO since 2007 on this deck. I like how it holds up here.
    Other regions & climates may well be different. Never had any mold, I suspect it is too dry here.
    Good luck w your project......