Thread: Router HELP!!!

Router HELP!!!

I am doing my first big custom cribbage board order. I am making 160 live edge boards. I usually do a router out straight peg storage area on the back. I make one pass at one depth , then drop it and make it smaller. My issue is with the live edge, all the boards are different widths. I want to make sure they are all the exact same so that I can laser cut an acrylic cover for the back, as this is what the customer wants. I have not done any routering other than on my table. how do i make the exact same size storage area on this many boards that are different widths?

Lisa,

One option would be to make a template and use a guide bushing. You can then position the opening in the template where you want the storage area to be located.

Regards,

Jacques

I'd build a jig/template that would index a corner of the board so you had a consistent frame of reference from which to start. After you have a reference, there could be a myriad of ways to go about routing. Others may have ideas, but I believe a picture of a current blank and some annotations will go a long ways to assist you and get some really good answers from experts here.

160 pockets would be easy work on a cnc machine. I would look into having it done as an option. Where are you located? Someone here may be able to help. Otherwise Laser cut a template and an insert for the template and use a template bit in your router to cut the deep depth and then remove the insert to do the shallower bit around the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    160 pockets would be easy work on a cnc machine. I would look into having it done as an option. Where are you located? Someone here may be able to help. Otherwise Laser cut a template and an insert for the template and use a template bit in your router to cut the deep depth and then remove the insert to do the shallower bit around the edge.
    If they are all a little different then it would be a problem with the placement.

+1 for a template and a bushing. It'll take you 10 minutes to make and they'll all be exactly the same.

Template(s) and a pin router. Maybe double stick tape to hold the jig in place.
    Bill D