Thread: Source for plastics

Source for plastics

I am getting ready to start the dining table build. I have the overview drawing made and plan driving to Walla Walla to purchase the hardwood tomorrow. The hardware except for the extension locks has been purchased and is here. The last of the special tools I needed to install the guide pins are due to arrive today.

The one thing I'd like to purchase is some plastic to use as a bearing for the top and supports to ride on. I would like to install some flat bar steel and attach some plastic as a bearing surface.

Any suggestions for materials and source would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken

UHMW(Ultra High Molecular Weight) plastic can be found online. Ive never needed too large of pieces so I've always ordered. It is also available at Mcmaster/Grainger/Etc as well aslocal plastic companies.

Blog Entries
    Yep. Perfect use for UHMW tape (sometimes called drawer tape). I put a pair of strips on the edge of my jointer pork chop back in 2008. I have banged into and pushed the guard out of the way with sharp edges of material being jointed beyond counting. It still looks pretty much like this.

pork-chop-uhmw.jpg

I cleaned the edge with a bit of lighter fluid before I applied the tape. I then burnished it (rolled it) like veneer for a moment or two. Not so much as an edge or a corner has lifted with all that time and use.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

McMaster-Carr has all kinds of options.
    https://www.mcmaster.com/products/plastics/plastic~/

Hey Ken, larger metro areas likely have a plastics distributor you could stop by. Sometimes they sell cutoffs at a decent price. Very similar to a lumberyard for plastics. I have a 4’x4’ piece of HDPE that I cut chunks off. Super handy for miter bars or any place you want low friction.

The woodworking supply businesses have a self stick version. I had it on my tablesaw and jointer fences for years.

Most local glass/window shops have a plastics supplier and can likely order what you need. Places like onlinemetals.com also sell a variety of plastics.