Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radius Layout ?

Radius Layout ?

This leg seems to have 4 different radius & I'd like to make some as close as possible to it. I know I can figure out how to achieve the radius to make the leg but it would be a few hours of trial & error. I'd start off with free hand rendition, than using a large compass or string & nail to make the arcs I'd sooner or later get there.
    Just wondering if there is better approach. I don't have access to the leg so there is no way of copying it or pulling some measurements to figure it out.
    Thanks
    table leg.jpg
    Last edited by lou Brava; 10-03-2023 at 12:13 PM.

Looks like a job for french curves.

Notch a piece of plywood to fit over the stretcher and trace the leg shape directly. Otherwise, scribe it. Set up a piece of thin plywood parallel to the plane of the leg's face and use a pointed stick to mark offsets and angles on the plywood, then work backwards with the stick to lay out the leg on another piece.

You mentioned that you don't have access to the leg. Do you have any more pictures of it. If not, then I would take this picture and blow it up to the size you want to make it. The picture has it on an angle but that might help you get the 2 relative dimensions you need. After blowing up and printing the picture (may be more than one page) you can cut out the leg and trace it from that. If you have more pictures that would help get more accurate dimensions.

"I don't have access to the leg so there is no way of copying it or pulling some measurements to figure it out."
    "Notch a piece of plywood to fit over the stretcher and trace the leg shape directly."

Seems like we have a lack of communication here.

If no access to leg and you unable to blow it up and print, seems trial and error is what's left. Cut a piece of mdf, put screws into a piece of plywood to mimic curves. Weave in the mdf, move screws til you get the shape you want . Brian
    Brian

Thanks everyone, blowing up the picture would solve it straight away I never thought of that. I guess I'd have to find a print shop or photo studio that could do that, maybe I'll try google searching it would be cool if there is a place you could email them a picture & they blow it up & send it to you.
    Dan, good call on the French curve. I bet I can find a large template that would speed up the trail & error part, one good thing is they are very short legs.

Maybe a Google image search would get you additional views. If there is one square with the leg profile you have a direct copy.

Tom

Get the picture large enough to use a ruler to plot the chord lengths and heights of sections, at plotted intervals, and determine the radii from those measurements.
    You should be very close.
    That inside curve is a sweep, and it will be the hardest to plot.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    "I don't have access to the leg so there is no way of copying it or pulling some measurements to figure it out."
    "Notch a piece of plywood to fit over the stretcher and trace the leg shape directly."

Seems like we have a lack of communication here.
    Yes, my bad. Apologies to lou for skipping the important part.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Yes, my bad. Apologies to lou for skipping the important part.
    No worries, that reading thing always gets me too

Another possibility is to import the picture to the INKSCAPE program (free). Learn how to draw with bezier curves and trace the leg outline. Save the tracing file in SVG format. This can be printed in any desired size on a large printer/pen plotter. Or save a DXF file and make (or have made) a template via a CNC machine.

Do you have the full image from pottery barn ? or a link to the product ? So the proportions of the leg from the base. (assume 1.5" square but doesn't matter )

the outside curve is 2.5x so if the leg is 1.5" then the back edge of the curve is 2.5x 3.75 or 4" curved from the front.

I printed it and drew parallel lines starting at the left edge of the foot and ran a parallel line from the right edge of the foot and this was my proportion scale.
    It can also give you the scale which it widens at the curve and the return. Assuming a coffee table this is about 15-16" tall. it can also be overlayed on graph paper for good results.

So if you are ok with sketchup you can get fairly close to this using this method. I've used it before with good results. PXL_20231006_170827140.jpg
    Last edited by Keith Christopher; 10-06-2023 at 1:13 PM.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

You could use Matthias Wandel's BigPrint program to do this if you don't want to learn Inkscape/tile things/etc:

https://woodgears.ca/bigprint/

$22, and it goes to an actual person with an actual family doing fun stuff, not some copy center

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Christopher View Post
    Do you have the full image from pottery barn ? or a link to the product ? So the proportions of the leg from the base. (assume 1.5" square but doesn't matter )

the outside curve is 2.5x so if the leg is 1.5" then the back edge of the curve is 2.5x 3.75 or 4" curved from the front.

I printed it and drew parallel lines starting at the left edge of the foot and ran a parallel line from the right edge of the foot and this was my proportion scale.
    It can also give you the scale which it widens at the curve and the return. Assuming a coffee table this is about 15-16" tall. it can also be overlayed on graph paper for good results.

So if you are ok with sketchup you can get fairly close to this using this method. I've used it before with good results. PXL_20231006_170827140.jpg
    Wow ! Thanks so much for taking the time to do that I really appreciate it ! I don't have a link to the table it wasn't a Pottery Barn table the wife took the picture at a "high end" furniture store a few years ago & I'm just now getting around to the build. I've never tried sketchup maybe it's time to try it out. Here's a pic of the table.

Coffee table.jpg