Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Area Air Cleaner thoughts-

Menards carries 2", 4" filters in the store HERE, can order way more on line for free delivery for store pickup HERE.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I can honestly say I've never thought of building an air filter that the cats can sleep on.
    My original prototype was made from a new 20" box fan, two pieces of cardboard about 20x20 made from the box the fan came in, 3 filters at 20x20 inches, and duct tape. I knew it would improve my IAQ, but I didn't know if it was going to be enough. I could not keep the cat off that thing. I don't know how long she was up there every day, but she was up there at least daily. I used a fair bit of extra duct tape keeping the prototype airtight that one winter it was in service - because of the cat.

Also, I had kids at home. As a dad, I prefer to choose my battles. If I had put a filter element in the top of that cube, first it would be a hockey stick when I wasn't looking. Then a big bag of fast food takeout. Then ice skates, then a book bag. Sooner or later, if the cat didn't claw her way through first, a filter element in the top panel, at my house, would have been tested to destruction by the kids.

Once I had good data that I was running adequate filtration, "plywood top" was the first design element of the permanent build.

First build of Corsi Rosenthal air cleaner

My first build of the Corsi ROsenthal box! Makes a world of difference in the living quarters, but I am going to order a Dylos to get actual numbers. I am going off the Mrs saying no fine dust! Suggestions which Dylos to get? I saw one in the $250 range on a quick google search Thanks everyone for all the great information!

898DF8DA-433C-4121-AF3E-2F48B4B67AEA.jpg
    Ridgid R4513 jobsite saw, Ridgid R4512 Table saw, Ridgid JP601 jointer/planer,
    Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust collector, Bosch 1617 EVSPK router, Bosch RA1181 router table, Rikon 10-326 Band saw
    Dewalt 735 planer, Fuji Q5Platinum HVLP,

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruhland View Post
    My first build of the Corsi ROsenthal box! Makes a world of difference in the living quarters, but I am going to order a Dylos to get actual numbers. I am going off the Mrs saying no fine dust! Suggestions which Dylos to get? I saw one in the $250 range on a quick google search Thanks everyone for all the great information!
    The Dylos 1100 Pro is the one to get as a woodworker. You want the meter to read the small 0.5 micron particles, which are the most dangerous ones to breathe in (the smaller the particle, the deeper it goes into your respiratory tree). What did you use for filters?
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

The Dylos 1100 Pro is the one to get as a woodworker. You want the meter to read the small 0.5 micron particles, which are the most dangerous ones to breathe in (the smaller the particle, the deeper it goes into your respiratory tree). What did you use for filters?
    I used MERV 13 Filters 20x20x1 purchased at my local home improvement store (Menards) Dylos 1100 Pro will be here on Wednesday!
    Last edited by David Ruhland; 10-08-2023 at 7:02 PM.
    Ridgid R4513 jobsite saw, Ridgid R4512 Table saw, Ridgid JP601 jointer/planer,
    Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust collector, Bosch 1617 EVSPK router, Bosch RA1181 router table, Rikon 10-326 Band saw
    Dewalt 735 planer, Fuji Q5Platinum HVLP,

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruhland View Post
    I used MERV 13 Filters 20x20x1
    I think you will pleased with your results. There is a 'B' screen on the inexpensive monitors I like that tracks smaller particles, as pictured. Online reviews of the Plan S-50 series sensors suggest these counts are pretty good, but I have no way to test them.

My big local problem is PM2.5 and I can calibrate that. My nearest EPA managed air quality monitor is at location "N-Core" in downtown Fairbanks. I drive within a block of it twice daily on my commute. I can park next to the chain link fence around the install, they got a BAM counter in there specifically calibrated to PM2.5. It is a beta attenuation mass monitor, 10s of thousands of dollars. Anyway I can park near it, pull up the N-Core reading on line with my phone, plug a cheap sensor into the dashboard of my truck, set the sensor on my hood and compare. I have no way to do that with smaller particles.

However, I think Alan said his baseline level for the particle he is most concerned about was about "500." At my place running MERV13 to manage PM2.5, I seem to be close to Alan's baseline.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winners View Post
    I think you will pleased with your results. There is a 'B' screen on the inexpensive monitors I like that tracks smaller particles, as pictured. Online reviews of the Plan S-50 series sensors suggest these counts are pretty good, but I have no way to test them.
    How to you get to the B screen?
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

How to you get to the B screen?
    On all 6 or 7 of the units like this I have owned there is a wee push button just above the power connector on the right hand side that toggles between screens.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winners View Post
    On all 6 or 7 of the units like this I have owned there is a wee push button just above the power connector on the right hand side that toggles between screens.
    Yep, that's how you do it. I recently picked one up based on Scott's recommendation.