Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is this material?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Would you spend infinitely more to repair something than you paid for it?
    If it would prevent a future cost of liability / repair that I cannot guess at . . . probably.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

So your driving down the road towing your rebuilt with a 2 hole conduit clamp and used radiator hose trailer and it comes apart... on the road. It sways a bit comes loose and then hits the car alongside, killing a kid in the back and wrecking that car. I wonder if saving that $60 was worth it?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Would you spend infinitely more to repair something than you paid for it?
    Ever restored a car or tractor?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Being a "woodworker", I was going to put a wood block above the strap taking up most of the room. If the strap breaks it can't go very far.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Seems like it should of had that piece from the factory.
    In the first picture, the pieces on the left, that look like the curved strap.... are they metal or just rubber?
    Just rubber. There is a capacity of 200 pounds and they must figure the rubber is plenty strong for that.

Yes, I believe it is conveyor belt material. Those who say I must buy from the factory part assume that they use better material than I can buy myself. That is certainly possible, but I doubt it.

The bottom piece is pretty much just a spacer, with thick aluminum reinforcing it. Even if the rubber vanished, it wouldn't affect much of anything.
    The cheapest I can buy the right size for on Amazon is $30. That is the same price as 2 top pieces from the factory. So, I ordered the top pieces and will reuse the bottom pieces. Buying my own material would give me a bunch of extra, but I doubt I will ever have any need for it. Using theres will save me from figuring where to put holes.