Thread: Water heater flex, can I use it outside for a sprinkler valve

Water heater flex, can I use it outside for a sprinkler valve

I have a leaking 3/4" pvc supply line into a sprinkler manifold. Iron pipe on the other end. I used a compression sleeve patch but the two pipes are not quite aligned. It shifts a bit and starts dripping every few months. Can I just cut the pipes and use a flex water heater connector to splice them together. I am unsure about code for outside use.
    Of course I mean the water supply flex not the NG flex stuff. It does not supply any meaningful support to the manifold so flexing is no problem.
    Bill D

With lawn or house repairs it is often what you can put together to get the job done. By compressor sleeve I assume you mean a dresser coupling of some description. The flex will work. How long it lasts…? Do the repair you see, leave the hole open and cover it for a while. When satisfied, backfill.

This repair will be in the air not underground. So I think it should last for decades. Probably put a foam sleeve over it for frost protection.
    Bill D

If the leak is at a PVC female threaded adapter, I'd change that. I never use plastic female threads for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    If the leak is at a PVC female threaded adapter, I'd change that. I never use plastic female threads for anything.
    Or apply a bit of petroleum jelly to the pvc screw joint. I've never had to do it a second time. (several years ago i had to unscrew an old 2" clean-out to clear a clog. Dripped when i put it back together, and i was out of petroleum jelly. Since it was bedtime on a Sunday night, i grabbed the Vic's Vapo-Rub as a temporary measure. Still hasn't leaked, so the smelly part of the Vapo-Rub seems to have no ill efects!!)

A pressurized water line is different than a DWV line with no pressure on it. I should have said I never use female plastic threads on a pressurized line.