Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harvey

Harvey

It seems like more and more Harvey is becoming the latest flavor of the month. I see a lot of popular DIY sites that have typically had Saw Stop products displayed in their videos all of a sudden have Harvey products front and center.

Is there a financial incentive for this or is Harvey just providing a better product?

Blog Entries
    My first thought was you were brining up the subject of an old Jimmy Stewart movie. After all there is a thread going about Alfred Hitchcock movies. Jimmy Stewart was mentioned since he was in four of them.

Had never heard of the machinery company. Googled them and the pictures looked nice.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My first thought was you were brining up the subject of an old Jimmy Stewart movie. After all there is a thread going about Alfred Hitchcock movies. Jimmy Stewart was mentioned since he was in four of them.

Had never heard of the machinery company. Googled them and the pictures looked nice.

jtk
    Well if their mascot was a giant imaginary rabbit it would all fit together.

Harvey would be a great mascot. All you would need to represent him would be a hat with ear holes that you held in your hand, so it would be much nicer than having to dress up in a chicken costume or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    Harvey would be a great mascot. All you would need to represent him would be a hat with ear holes that you held in your hand, so it would be much nicer than having to dress up in a chicken costume or something.
    Might be hard to demonstrate the micro-adjust features with those paws, but certainly entertaining.

Back on topic..
    From what I have read here on the forum Harvey is innovative and providing a good product. Most, if not all comments have been positive.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Back on topic..
    From what I have read here on the forum Harvey is innovative and providing a good product. Most, if not all comments have been positive.
    I really like the blade guard option they have for the table saw. Much greater incentive to use it. Unfortunately it costs quite a bit when not on sale.
    Last edited by Derik Bjorklund; 09-30-2023 at 6:41 PM.

Industry players change over time. My understanding is that Harvey has done a lot of contract manufacturing over the years and made the move to sell directly awhile back. Their products garner good comments and they actually answer the phone when there is a question or a request to honor a better sale price. As an aside, they also own the Bridge City brand and from all appearances, the quality remains the same as was always expected.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Industry players change over time. My understanding is that Harvey has done a lot of contract manufacturing over the years and made the move to sell directly awhile back. Their products garner good comments and they actually answer the phone when there is a question or a request to honor a better sale price. As an aside, they also own the Bridge City brand and from all appearances, the quality remains the same as was always expected.
    When you think Laguna, think Harvey. Harvey have been the manufacturers for some of the players known for quality machines., and for a good many years now.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Of course there is an incentive for YouTube influencers to switch. Very likely, free or very highly discounted machinery unless they say otherwise.

In my opinion, Harvey has been delivering some very high quality competitively priced products. Sawstop is great, but if can't afford the cost for the blade safety protection, the Harvey machines are significantly cheaper and still excellent quality. I chose the Harvey cast iron router table top and fence system when I did my router table build and the end result is absolutely excellent (better than any other router table/fence on the market). Michael Burnside commented that the Harvey sliding table add-on was actually a little bit better built than the SawStop version:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....06#post3274706

One thing I have noticed with Harvey is that they have been evolving and re-inventing the way that machines and tools are designed. New features that work differently and better than the traditional way companies have been machine stuff (like the table saw fences, miter gauges, etc. etc.). Obviously, they are targeting the mid-level market, so you if you are looking for a super heavy duty machine, it is not Harvey. But I think they are delivering excellent products for their target audience.

Comments on their tech support & customer service?

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Comments on their tech support & customer service?
    I have had good interactions with both CS and TS but to be fair, it was only one 'o each...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I just finally got my new 3hp Harvey tablesaw all setup, upgrading from a 20 year old Grizzly and I gotta say its really excellent. The saw needed zero adjustment out of the box, which is crazy. Table extensions needed no shims, and I didnt have to adjust the blade, miter slot, or fence. I really like the dual fence, dust collection, and it was very well packaged. $3200 delivered. There is a reason its getting attention, its because they deserve it.

One well-known woodworker on Youtube mentioned in the comments to one of his videos that he switched from a Sawtop to Harvey table saw because Harvey sent him one for free. So it sounds like they may be spending part of their advertising budget that way.