Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Harvey

Harvey have been selling their table saws in Oz for quite some years, and they have built a reputation without the need for advertising.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Harvey used to OEM their stuff. Now they both OEM and sell the same stuff with their brand. I've bought a few things from Harvey both OEM and direct and find the Harvey branded stuff a bit better.

However, I find the Harvey customer support insanely great. Multiple email exchanges on the same day, quick to get on the phone, actually fix my problem, etc. I think they also have an outreach program but I don't see it advertised. I try to avoid Chinese manufacturing, but I make an exception for Harvey. I wouldn't say it's quality is as high as Festool or my Hammer, but it isn't that far below it, and it's a lot cheaper.

I have a Harvey G700 and paid for it. Makes me smile every time I use it. One experience with customer service was great.

I will mention that Harvey is a chinese based company: this impacts the buying decision for some of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Gaudio View Post
    I will mention that Harvey is a chinese based company: this impacts the buying decision for some of us.
    How much of mainstream 'traditional' woodworking machinery doesn't come from the Far East? What doesn't come from the Far East comes from Europe. Northfield is the only American manufacturer that comes to mind. Also keep in mind that China and Taiwan while both Chinese are not the same.

The only machineryf in my shop that is of Chinese / Taiwanese origin is a used Powermatic dust collector that I happened to find locally for a very cheap price. Everything else is *used* and from either Europe, USA, or Japan, which is a higher level of quality control than China/Taiwan generally. When talking about new tools, yes, Northfield is one of the few American manufacturers of a variety of woodworking machinery, but buying used opens up so many options for higher quality tools from places other than the Far East, and often for better prices.

I will also say that Taiwanese and Chinese manufacturers are completely capable of producing top of the line quality control and manufacturing…that’s just not what they are typically being paid to produce as the market isn’t really there for it compared to the hobbyist grade quality level and price point.

From what I’ve seen Harvey is little different in quality control than the rest of the Taiwanese / Chinese-made prosumer grade machines (Powermatic, Grizzly, Jet, Laguna, etc)
    Still waters run deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    How much of mainstream 'traditional' woodworking machinery doesn't come from the Far East? What doesn't come from the Far East comes from Europe. Northfield is the only American manufacturer that comes to mind. Also keep in mind that China and Taiwan while both Chinese are not the same.
    But Harvey is definitely "made in China" and not "made in Taiwan."
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

I did a lot research about Harvey when I was looking for a new table saw. I was going to buy one, but I had enough money to get a SawStop and went with that. Mrs. Pat liked the safety feature and I was able to pick it up from my local Woodcraft store. But Harvey does appear to be a very good option for power tools. I know people always say you can get great, American Made used machines, but in my area, those sell for full retail and still get scarfed up almost immediately. I think the local tool vendors are the ones who show up waving cash 90 seconds after the ad is posted. One such vendor bought an air compressor I was selling years ago. He was happy to pay what I was asking because he was going to turn it around for a much higher price. Seems like vintage woodworking machines are getting to be like vintage Hi Fi equipment; more expensive than new with less features and no warranty.

Years back, on some forum, there were comments about China being not capable of making high quality products. I made a comment that they had put men in space, and you *can't* do that by making junk.

I was 'shocked' when someone posted 'the Chinese have put men in space? When did that happen?'

???????

And I think .... no, I *know* I'm uninformed.

It's all about the QA.

Most consumers aren't willing to pay what it would cost for manufacturing in 'developed economies'
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I just added the Harvey Cast Iron router table, fence, and dust collector setup to my cabinet saw. Wow...it's very nice! Harvey has some very cool and innovative designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Crimmins View Post
    One well-known woodworker on Youtube mentioned in the comments to one of his videos that he switched from a Sawtop to Harvey table saw because Harvey sent him one for free. So it sounds like they may be spending part of their advertising budget that way.
    Do you think if I promised to make YouTube videos that Martin would send me a jointer, planer and shaper??😛😛

I might go for that.

Regards, Rod

Blog Entries
    Harvey about the price or the product?

I have seen their display at the last Vegas Woodworking show. They appear to have a quality product and one feature that impressed me was the preset stops on their rip fence. IIRC there was 4 stops on the rail that you could place at positions of your choice. Excellent for those of us that rip a lot of sheet goods to build kitchens.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ross View Post
    I have seen their display at the last Vegas Woodworking show. They appear to have a quality product and one feature that impressed me was the preset stops on their rip fence. IIRC there was 4 stops on the rail that you could place at positions of your choice. Excellent for those of us that rip a lot of sheet goods to build kitchens.

Brian
    And yet, if you make a mistake, your fingers/hand are toast.