Thread: Interersting Tools Part 4 - Combination Squares - Goodell-Pratt, Millers Falls, Union

Interersting Tools Part 4 - Combination Squares - Goodell-Pratt, Millers Falls, Union

Goodell-Pratt did make some combination squares. The quality is just a hair below the Starrett's. Goodell-Pratt eventually was bought by Millers Falls and their tool line was moved over.

Below is a Goodell-Pratt set. Non-reversable.

Goodell-Pratt 1.jpg

Next is a lower cost Handyman (no level or scribe)

Goodell-Pratt 2.jpg

And a Fulton (Made in USA) that appears to have been made by Goodell-Pratt for Sears that I nickel plated.

Fulton 1.jpg

Union Manufacuring made a set too. Non-reversable. While this is a 9" set it uses the standard 1" wide blade, so a 12" will work.

Union 1.jpg

Another quality one is by Mitutoyo. This one is reversable.

Mitutoyo Protractor 1.jpgMitutoyo Protractor 2.jpg

Part 5 will cover other similar tools and will conclude this series.

A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the interesting seris Eric.

I do not use combination squares very often. One of mine is an odd duck. It has a 9" rule. To the best of my recollection the only mark on the blade is > MF Co. < Not sure if that is Millers Falls or possibly some other company.

Combo Square.jpg

There are a few combination squares in my shop. Most used is the center finder or the protractor.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Thanks for the interesting seris Eric.

I do not use combination squares very often. One of mine is an odd duck. It has a 9" rule. To the best of my recollection the only mark on the blade is > MF Co. < Not sure if that is Millers Falls or possibly some other company.

Combo Square.jpg

There are a few combination squares in my shop. Most used is the center finder or the protractor.

jtk
    Jim, the first thing I look at is the shape around the clamp hook knob. This one is sort of "U" shaped which makes Brown & Sharpe a possibility. I would need to see that knobs profile to help match it.
    Each of the manufacturers used a slightly different shape. Starrett used a scalloped shape with raised edges. Goodell-Pratt (later Millers Falls) used more of a heart shape.
    If the stock is made of aluminum, it may be a more modern knock-off. Also. how wide is the blade? Probably either 1" or a slightly smaller 7/8".