Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barn Sale this morning

Barn Sale this morning

Might be almost the end of the season around here....Boss bought 2 rugs...$5 for the pair...Me?
    Drill Press, Gears.JPG
    Drill Press, Table.JPG
    The Auto-feed just needs a new spring....all else is there....Price (was $25?0 Made the fellow an offer he couldn't refuse....$10

And...he helped load it into the back of my Chevy Equinox....tight fit..

When I am allowed to lift more than 20 pounds again, this will get cleaned up, and a new spring installed..

Also: There is a Machinist Tool Chest out there...that needs a refurbishing...also $10....I just might stop back out there, and see IF it is still there...Boss said I could buy it....
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Cast into the upper casting....Warranted.......Champion Blower Forge Co.

Next step...is to look up that company name. And get a few more photos?

Steven,

Great buy! Are you going to set it up to use, keep it a collectors item, or sell it? They bring fair money on the auction site.

Stew

I'm currently tearing it down and cleaning things up..

Champion Blower Forge Co. of Lancaster, PA. made the drill press/post drill...

This 20 pound weight lift limit is putting a crimp in things....Plus...will need to dig out a gear puller, or 2....

Then, it will depend on IF I can find a spot in MY shop.......we'll see..

Stay tuned..have about 17 photos to post....

I've seen your shop Steven, you don't have room. Next time you go "shopping" take something to trade instead of using money.

Even did a bit of woodworking..
    Drill Press Rebuild, back board cleaned up.JPG
    Beltsanded all the nasty crud off, then
    Drill Press Rebuild, edges planed.JPG
    Took a hand plane to it...trying to leave this intact..
    DRill Press Rebuild, No. 90.JPG
    As this is the Model Number.....Champion Blower Forge Co. No. 90 Post drill....they also made a slightly larger version, too. The #90 weighs in at 100 pounds..counting the plank. The larger one was 110 pounds...because of a larger table

Table?
    Drill Press Rebuild, under the table.JPG
    Underside was cleaned up, and given a coat of Light Gray Primer..
    Drill Press Rebuild, clean table.JPG
    Top of the table does look a lot better....
    Drill Press Rebuild, Table Assembly.JPG
    Fully assembled, ready to install. There is a bolt, used to clamp this to the column....so you can raise or lower it....hard part was lining the hole in the table to the center of a drill bit.
    Drill Press Rebuild, cleaned Column.JPG
    And the column....

There are 6 big lag screws to attach the drill to the board..
    Drill Press Rebuild, lags.JPG
    And a cap for the bottom end of the column, to support the column. Square headed bolts everywhere...

Gap between the drive gears has been fixed, from this..
    Drill Press Rehab, mind that gap.JPG
    To this..
    Drill Pres Rebuild, gears mesh.JPG

Seems the cranking gear has a shaft it spins on....
    Drill Press Rehab, drive gear.JPG
    That threads into a hole in the main frame...once the crank had been removed,the shaft fell out..Fix? Was to thread the shaft back into the frame, and torque it in place....there is a bolt and a washer that hold the crank gear onto the shaft...and torque the bolt down....with a drop of 3in1 oil under the washer. Problems will re-occur IF you try to run the crank in reverse..

Drill Press Rehab, crankies.JPG
    What was left of the bolt that held the crank in place....it had been sheared off 1 thread above the hole....I drilled out the bolt, and used the Easy-out to remove the "remains"...took the remains to Lowes, and bought a new Allen head bolt....3/8" x 16 x 1-1/4" long...and installed the crank back in place, using the old mark on the crank to locate where on the crank the bolt went...

Later today? Will be installing a spring onto the Auto-feed arm..
    Drill Press Rebuild, auto-feed.JPG
    It works,,,barely...just no way (except to rely on Gravity) to return to the cam on the drive gear. Will add a spring return.

These post drills were usually lagged onto a post in a shop ( plank has a bunch of holes from those lags) so...I might just buy a 4 x 4 post. to go between a joist and the floor....lag it in place and add the Post Drill to the post.

Bottom end of the plank was rotten,,and not square.....hand saw to cut a new bottom, hand plane to bevel/champfer the new corners..debate as to whether to add a coat of Witch's Brew to the wood.

Drill Press Rebuild, top end.JPG
    Handle for the quill advance....was very LOOSE, with a few bends in the bolt.....took the square nut off, straightened the bends..oily gloves helped to refinish the wood...Tightened the nut back in place..

Wire "toothbrush" to clean up all of the teeth on all of the gears...

Only allowed to lift so much weight, right now....and a 8' 4 x 4 is pushing it....right now, I just might take today off....Doctor Follow up tomorrow for this left eyeball...next week, the right eyeball gets done...then 2 weeks to recover.....Might be November before the next woodworking Project gets started...

Stay tuned....

Steven,

Your first pictures of the beast make it look fairly clean, with only a little very light surface rust in spots. Is this the case?

From what I can see of the beast makes it look like it was a pretty heavy duty drill press in it's day. Do you, or any of the other neanders for that matter, know much about these manual drill presses? I wonder when it was made. Are there any identifiers, patent dates, etc., on it that will tell us a little about the age?

From what you have shown so far, it looks like it will clean up nicely.

Regards,

Stew

Champion Blower Forge Co. changed hands and name about 1920. When they start to work on Fans more than tools.

Mine has a 1/2" chuck....although larger one was available at the time. This was the "smaller" of the 2 models they sold. Larger one even had 2 speeds!

Speed on mine? How fast can you crank? Once you get it going, you can let it coast for a bit.

Have seen a few around here...where they have added a pulley and a motor to drive things along...

Wasn't so much the rust ( there was some..)as all the dirt and grime build up....Chuck was filled with gunk...jaws wouldn't move.

According to the sales ad I have seen...the No. 90 weighs in at 100 pounds....one would lag bolt it to a post in the shop, and that was where it would stay...

A treated ( because of the concrete floor) 4 x 4 x 8' post is now IN the shop....awaiting a few saw cuts. 3 Lag screws with washers are ready to go to the shop. Need to size a drill bit to match the screws....1/2" Lags...

Will need a bit of help to lift the Post drill OFF of my bench...and onto a cleat on the post....THEN I can lag the drill to the post.

Stay tuned....am sure some cussing will be involved...

Going shopping, today....to find a replacement shelf unit...to replace Old Swayback Maru..
    Post Drill Post, location, maybe.JPG
    With something about a foot narrower, as the yellow lines are showing where the Post Drill's post will be going...

otherwise, the Drill will stick out into the shop a bit too far, right where I walk through...usually holding a Laundry Hamper. Post has been cut to length,,and notched to fit over a joist in the ceiling..
    Post Drill Post, lap done.JPG
    And has been drilled for the Lag Screw..
    Post Drill Post, should be long enough.JPG

So, go out buy the new, skinny shelf unit...swap units out ( and toss away any junk I find)and stand the post up. I had to get out the Stanley SW No.3......
    Post Drill Post, Stanley SW No. 3.JPG
    So I can "plumb" the post....New lag bolts for the Post Drill..
    Post Drill Post, Top bolt.JPG
    Using existing holes...
    Post Drill Post, bottom lag bolt.JPG
    Will need to lay out pilot holes on the Post...makes it a lot easier to drive these in place...

To help out with hanging the Drill onto the post...
    Post Drill Post, mounting cleat.JPG
    Will add a cleat for the bottom of the plank to rest on, while I drive 2 lags into place...

Stay tuned

Old Swayback Maru has been taken to the curb...What a mess!

4 x 4 post has been installed, and plumbed up...Needed a shim on the floor ( can always tap con the shim to the floor, later)

Dryer was making the shop a bit TOO warm...to be working on a Saturday. I am soaked...covered in dust..and grime, amazing how much builds up on a shelf ( or 4) in 10 years time.

May wait a while...and cool ME down...and charge up the hammer drill a bit...before I head back to the shop. Have the new shelf unit to put together ( always involves cussing..) and re-arrange some clamps that are in the way...

Pictures, or it didn't happen,right? Have 14 of them..this may take a bit..
    Work on Sat.. Old Swayback Maru.JPG
    Lonely sitting out on the curb? Been Replaced by..
    Work on Sat. NEW Shelf.JPG
    Enough room was"gained. to allow the new post to be added...
    Work on Sat. top lagged in.JPG
    Single lag screw at the top....hammer drill took out a light bulb nearby..
    Work on Sat., shim and cleat.JPG
    Needed a shim on the floor...and the cleat to help mount the Post Drill No. 90 to the post..
    Work on Sat., plenty of room.JPG
    According to MY level, post and drill are plumb...it is the corner of the Field Stone wall that isn't plumb....Optical Conclusion?
    Work on Sat., loaded up.JPG
    New shelf unit is loaded up...

The Auto-Feed works as designed, BTW..
    Work on Sat., it works.JPG
    However, to retract the drill bit, you need to flip the Prawl over, and hand crank to retract...
    Work on Sat., vise option #1.JPG
    Guess I will need a few bolts to add this vise to the Post Drills table...

Any other views you want to see?.....Plenty of room to operate the crank....as I gave a good test drive...Might tapcon the shim to the floor with an angle bracket....and screw the bracket to the post....maybe..tomorrow? Tuesday Morning..will be getting eyeball #2 done....so shoptime will stop for a few days...

Stay tuned..

Test drive this morning...it is a Cardio work out...or else I just need a sharp drill bit...

LED bulb that the Hammer drill broke...has been replace with an even brighter LED bulb. Piece of scrap wood to remove the base of the now vanished bulb...made sure power was OFF to that socket.....Light bulb is right at the base of the stairs to the shop...lights up the Post Drill and half the steps...

Honey-do tasks today...Tuesday, I get eyeball #2 done....not much else will get done this coming week...