Thread: Laguna 1836 lathe

Laguna 1836 lathe

As I have posted my Craftex CT128N has quit. Going to have to replace it. Looked at a Laguna 1836 yesterday and seems to be something like i would be looking at. 2HP 220 volt motor, 1 1/4" spindle ( which my Craftex has so no adapters to buy)
    Anyone have one? Pros and cons

I've had the 1836 for approx. 6 years. I love the lathe. Many of the accessories such as steady rest, vacuum adapters etc. I made myself. The only negative I can give the lathe is the spindle lock. You have to hold it in or make something to hold it in. I did the latter with a round magnet and a bolt running through it. Works, but would have preferred one that held the spindle on its own without having to manually hold it. I know the reason for this is so people would not try to run the lathe with the spindle locked. Any how, t's a solid machine for the price.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I suggest you research their customer support. I've never owned any Laguna machinery, but you'll find a lot to read about.

I have the 18/36 as well. Love it. I had a minor issue that I called tech support about (Brian Bennett) and it was handled very quickly... can't say anything bad about Laguna.

If it helps, i have had the 1524 for three years, I like that the tool rest uses a 1 inch post.

I have the 1836 110v and it has been a very good lathe, lots of power, the only thing I have heard people say bad about the lathe is the banjo; I does not bother me at all once you learn how to move it.

My Handle is Splinterz25 on most forums.

Jack Of All Master Of None

I have had my 1836 2hp for perhaps 7 years or so (I would have to check the date) and it is a phenomenal lathe.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Had mine for over 5 years with no regrets and no problems.
    Ignore the naysayers about Laguna service; currently have 3 of their machines and no problems at all-any questions or concerns have been answered quickly and with positive outcomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    Had mine for over 5 years with no regrets and no problems.
    Ignore the naysayers about Laguna service; currently have 3 of their machines and no problems at all-any questions or concerns have been answered quickly and with positive outcomes.
    Strictly FWIW: I have never dealt with Laguna but have read a lot of threads about them over the years. My perception is that years ago there were a lot of support issues with them but it got corrected and it's much better now.
    I always go by, "people are more inclined to tell about bad incidents than about good incidents:.

Had my 1836 for 6-7 years. Love it. Have added extensions, etc to add to capabilities of doing bigger pieces. It all works great.

Jim