Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just the facts mam

Just the facts mam

Please fact check some things for me

1. As I have heard, it is inappropriate to run an extension cord thru a wall

2. Presumably it is ok to run it thru an open doorway or window

3. It is also inappropriate to plug an extension cord into another extension cord

4. Presumably this does not apply to plugging a phone charger into an outlet strip even though both look kinda like extension cords

Per #3: If you are meaning the thin cords often referred to as "zip cord" and around 18 gauge or thinner that could be a problem and cause overheating or a fire. I regularly connect more than one extension cord to get the length I need but I only buy 14 gauge or 12 gauge cords. My 25, 50, and 100 foot cords for yard use are all 12 gauge for safety and to prevent IR loss.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

An extension cord should be used for temporary convenience, not a permanent installation. Having said that, I'm sure there are many cases of a cord or power bar supplying power to an area where there is no outlet. An example of this would be a cord or bar from an outlet, running behind some furniture to power some device(s). Low risk if the cord is adequate wire gauge and is away from physical damage but it is not the ideal solution. Cords should never be placed under rugs, and they should never be a trip hazard for your safety.
    The plugs and sockets on extension cords should be checked to ensure they are not getting warm when used. They take more abuse than other items.

I use only 12 AWG extension cords and only USA made ones. Chinese cords from good brand names are probably fine, but I like to buy USA made where possible. I have always thought it is inadvisable to put extension cords through doorways due to the possibility of pinching the cord.

The city of Chicago does not allow the use of extension cords in permanent installations for fire reasons.

1) I dont know why you would want to run it through the wall. Cords are expensive or they should be, dont buy cheep ones unless you want cheep results.
    2)Yes
    3)Should be fine but distance over wire depends on what is plugged in 20 full amps over 12 gauge shouldnt go past 50' or so but a cell phone charger can go a lot farther.
    4) Cell chargers are very little draw so you can probably get away with a lot

I think the rule has more to do with permanent use of extension cords going through walls, than the temporary use of extension cords.

Heck, I've connected 3-4 extension cords together when working on the home, often an extension cord, then a short homemade power box with two duplex outlets in a dumb electrical box, then other extension cords plugged into that. But this was temporary. And using large current drawing tools (Hilti Hammers, Air Compressors) on the tail end of those multi-cord runs often causes a breaker to trip, and if a breaker trips, I'll swap out a 12g cord, rather than the dumb 14g ones I generally use. Again, all this is temporary, so no sweat.

When working on my cabin last year, rewiring a section inside a wall, some idiot actually used an extension cord and a piece of lamp cord inside the wall instead of 12g romex or MC cable. I swapped that out to MC cable.
    Regards,

Tom

Tom,
    the first three 'facts' you list are all OSHA regulations; they apply in workplaces. The restrictions on running them through holes and doorways are there to prevent damage to the cord and also to make sure the user has access to the plug quickly if it needs to be disconnected. OSHA standards do allow cords to pass through doorways if they are protected from pinching and damage. The limitation on using them daisy-chained is to prevent fires from the resistance at the connections. OSHA standards have plenty of good sense guidelines for personal safety, but they are not required in your home - and if, as some of the guys have said, you use extra precautions like heavy-gauge wire with well-fitting plugs, you could expect to do some of these things safely- but the fact that they are prohibited in a working environment should make you go back to check periodically that the cords are not overheating, being damaged, etc.

The power supply for your phone is simply an appliance and plugging it in is proper use.
    Karl (35 years as a safety manager)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    When working on my cabin last year, rewiring a section inside a wall, some idiot actually used an extension cord and a piece of lamp cord inside the wall instead of 12g romex or MC cable. I swapped that out to MC cable.
    When I moved into my house there was a lamp cord coming out of the wall and plugged into an outlet in the same box. I figured it out after a little bit. the previous owner must of had a switch go bad and instead of running out for a replacement he ran the lamp cord out the switch hole and would plug it on to turn on the lights. It passed inspection and I replaced it when I got the house.

Blog Entries
    1. As I have heard, it is inappropriate to run an extension cord thru a wall
    A wall under construction is okay until the sheet rock is up, then it is a no.

2. Presumably it is ok to run it thru an open doorway or window
    As long as care is taken to insure it doesn't get pinched by the door or window closing.

3. It is also inappropriate to plug an extension cord into another extension cord
    Haven't heard this one, though my cords are of various lengths so doubling up isn't needed.

4. Presumably this does not apply to plugging a phone charger into an outlet strip even though both look kinda like extension cords
    I used to do field service work. Some of our equipment was on military bases. One base had rules about extension cords. They were considered temporary and to be removed by the end of shift. Outlet strips were acceptable as long as they had shorter cords, surge protectors and overload protection. No cords under rugs or floor mats were allowed.

I take care of my extension cords. Two of mine are flat wire or what may look like zip cord. When I roll them up any twist is removed and the plug is inserted to the receptacle. One of them is going on 50 years of use the other is close to 40.

One time a 100' 12 gauge cord was purchased and turned into 10', 25' & 65' cords. Very handy to have.

I have occasionally purchased cords at yard sales if they look to be in good condition.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

#3 I think this is UNallowed (and maybe only in the workplace) if you are daisy chaining those 15A power strips (the ones that usually have 6 outlets in a line).

I know that at Boeing that was a constant "find" by the Safety guy when he 'd go through the office areas... power strip near the wall, then an ext cord (6-10ft) plugged into that leading to another power strip.
    Two was typical, sometimes he'd find a "triple" one.
    Labs --where I worked--- had outlets galore on workbenches and hanging from the overhead... we never used power strips but did have to use ext cords on occasion.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

I would guess the addition of multiple outlet power bars runs afoul of the limit for he number of outlets on a circuit. I'll go out on a limb and suggest that these days this needs to be revisited because many of these electronic device/charger loads are a small fraction of an ampere.

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    I know that at Boeing that was a constant "find" by the Safety guy when he 'd go through the office areas... power strip near the wall, then an ext cord (6-10ft) plugged into that leading to another power strip.
    Two was typical, sometimes he'd find a "triple" one.
    Labs --where I worked--- had outlets galore on workbenches and hanging from the overhead... we never used power strips but did have to use ext cords on occasion.
    Our guy used to complain about surge-protector power strips in the lab, but for some reason didn't think the strips at the bottom of the cloth-cover cube partitions were a problem. Go figure.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I've tagged my extension cords with the wire size and length. Makes it easier to decide when I can add more load or length and when I should not.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rutherford View Post
    I've tagged my extension cords with the wire size and length. Makes it easier to decide when I can add more load or length and when I should not.
    I marked mine with the wire size. Didn't think to add the length. Smallest I have is 14 gauge.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

My last eight years before retirement was spent as our school district’s energy manager. Part of my job entailed visually inspecting all the outlets in the district on a regular basis to make sure staff were using electricity in an approved manner. Since I was already “there”, the district also had me check for fire code violations.

Daisy changing extension cords and multi outlet strips,running extension cords through doors and above ceiling tile, use of ungrounded extension cords, use of outlet taps (those three-way plug-in or six-way plug/screw-in) or extension cords for appliances as permanent wiring were all fire code violations; at least for school settings.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.