Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 small Hand tool project ideas -lots of pics

Blog Entries

4 small Hand tool project ideas -lots of pics

I don't have as much time to post is I would like, but thought I would share these four relatively small hand tool project ideas for those who might be looking for new project inspiration. None of these required very much lumber and all have been seen as practical/usable and appreciated by recipients. I find these relatively small projects good place to try out new techniques like marquetry, carving inlay etc., but the real truth is I'm pretty much in it for the hand cut joinery and planed surfaces.

Small box with marquetry and carving - guess it could be used as a jewelry box.

Stepstool with some fun, angled through , wedged M&T joinery.

Silverware chest with some inlay. I made several and they've been fairly popular with ladies in my family. They seem to particularly like the felt drawer liners – who knew?

Blog Entries
    Greene & Greene inspired shoe rack. I keep making these for family home use and then someone sees them and asks for one. I think this is my fourth iteration and I'm kind of settled on the joinery, features I enjoy the most.

Thanks for looking! All the Best, Mike

Skillz man!!!
    Very nice work!
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

All very nice work.

I do take one small exception with the wedged M&T on the top of the stool, incorrect orientation IMO

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    All very nice work.

I do take one small exception with the wedged M&T on the top of the stool, incorrect orientation IMO
    You’re right Edward, I should have oriented the wedges so pushing forces were along the grain instead of cross grain which could risk splitting the top- good catch.

Fantastic work Mike. Quite a display of hand tool operations.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    Greene & Greene inspired shoe rack.
    That is a beautiful thing. If you wanted to keep maybe gym shoes and work boots on the lower shelves, how would you put a door in front of the lower shelves, but leave the top open for nice/ pretty shoes?

Beautiful work Mike!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I like the shoe rack the best!
    Aj

Really fine work and detail. Thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 10-13-2023 at 9:37 AM. Reason: SP

I had to sign in to check out the pics when I saw the title. Second vote for the shoe rack. Nice work.
    Regards,

Kris

Well done on all 4 projects, Sir! Well done! I cast the 3rd vote on the shoe rack!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winners View Post
    That is a beautiful thing. If you wanted to keep maybe gym shoes and work boots on the lower shelves, how would you put a door in front of the lower shelves, but leave the top open for nice/ pretty shoes?
    Hey Scott. If it were me , I would I inset a hinged door in front of the lower compartments you want to enclose so that It fits between the sides. dYou would need to trim the front of the enclosed shelves but you got that.

Thanks for posting those! There are lots of nice details that give me some inspiration for future projects. I especially like the shape of the pulls on your silverware chest.

Stepstools are great gifts for people with little kids. I made one for my nieces and it gets hauled between the bathroom and the kitchen to help reach the sink to wash their hands or when they want to help prepare a meal.

Beautiful stuff ! But the Greene and Greene always reminds me of camp crafts…. Were you ever a Boy Scout General ?
    Good to see you back ! I’d like to see a couple of wooden guys eating lunch on the top of that build they are working on !