Thread: Jointer/Planer

Jointer/Planer

Howdy, it has been a while since posting but im curious on the current consensus on a 220v or 120v jointer planer combo, floor space is a concern but was look at the grizzly and curious if any one has an alternate or experienced the grizzly. I am thinking the 220v helical 12" one

Hey Clint if you’re talking about the Grizzly G0634X, I’ve had that machine for awhile.

It’s got plenty of power. Not much else to compare as it’s hard to get a 12” machine with a 5hp motor and a helical head for under 4k. It’s a good quality Taiwanese machine.

If space is a serious concern, look for an Inca J/P with a belt drive motor. They are 10-1/4" wide, weigh only about 80 lbs, and are incredible machines. I had one for more than 25 years and ran hundreds, probably thousands, of bf over and through it w/o a single problem.

John

I have a Jet JJP-12 with straight knives. I have one of the first Jet J/Ps imported into the U.S. and were not offered with helical cutter heads at the time. It does what I bought it to do, produce flat and square boards. There was a lot written about the difficulty of getting and keeping the jointer beds properly aligned at one time. Maybe I'm not too fussy but haven't been aware of any problems caused by misaligned jointer beds.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    If space is a serious concern, look for an Inca J/P with a belt drive motor. They are 10-1/4" wide, weigh only about 80 lbs, and are incredible machines. I had one for more than 25 years and ran hundreds, probably thousands, of bf over and through it w/o a single problem.

John
    I see those for around $1,000 on Marketplace, so a great option.

Not to be contrarian but I’d scratch the Inca off my list. Only because of the potential lack of spare parts if it breaks. Yes, they are rugged machines but if something was missing or if something broke/got damaged, what are your options? I saw many a great deal turn into a “another project” because of this scenario. Based on my experience, if a person is wanting a machine to actually get a bunch of work done, new or used-recent manufacture are their safest bets. Just my 2-cents and best of luck to the OP in his search.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep