Thread: Vintage clock repair online service?

Vintage clock repair online service?

I have a 74 year old Enfield mantel clock that needs some attention. It probably needs nothing more than a good cleaning, oiling, and adjusting. The clock itself is nothing too special but it was given to my grandfather on his retirement in 1949. The shop I used to use is no longer in business and there’s not much left in town except for a few pawn shops.

Anyway, has anyone used an online repair service? Opinions?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Butterworth Clocks, Inc

Very well regarded, but I am unsure of his online repair status as I live in his town of business.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I have a 74 year old Enfield mantel clock that needs some attention. It probably needs nothing more than a good cleaning, oiling, and adjusting. The clock itself is nothing too special but it was given to my grandfather on his retirement in 1949. The shop I used to use is no longer in business and there’s not much left in town except for a few pawn shops.

Anyway, has anyone used an online repair service? Opinions?
    I use a local repairman... but he told me most of his business is "Sent in".
    I have taken my clock to him about every 5-7 years for routine servicing.
    In fact, I ordered my clock from him "online" not knowing he was a local guy... and nice person that he is he gave me the online discount anyway, plus I saved on shipping because he is about 15 miles from me.
    I bought a Chelsea "Ship strike" clock (having been in the Navy I like the "bells" way of timekeeping.)
    This is my clock ....Chelsea Ship Strike 6"

The only difference is the price (I bought mine around the year 2000 and paid about $1100)
    Also mine has a screw on bezel rather than hinged bezel (which is the what a true ships clock had to keep out the salty air)

The man's house is full of [mostly] mechanical clocks. He's got one clock in the entry hall that is made entirely from wood except for the mainspring.
    He says he has a weekly ritual wherein he goes around on one specific day and winds all his clocks.
    I asked him about his shop....does it have "positive" air pressure like a clean room (Boeing had clean rooms)... his shop is like a clean room.
    He explained how only a few speck of dirt can throw off a balance wheel.

His name is John Crabtree http://www.jlcrabtree.com/
    He's been repairing clocks and watches for at least 30 years, maybe longer.... and has always lived in metro Phoenix
    I have lady's gold filled pocket watch that dates to 1910... I've takes that to him for service also.
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 09-27-2023 at 8:25 AM.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Clean it with denatured alcohol. Oil with real clock oil ,available on line. The SLOW- FAST ‘transmission’ is easy to use.

Send a PM to Creeker Bernie Weishapl. He has a clock repair shop. He can give you good advice, I am sure!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I found a local "in home" repair service by a guy that worked at my repair shop that closed. Fingers crossed!
    Thanks for the replies.
    Patty, that ship's clock is way cool!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney