Thread: Powermatic PM2000 Caster Replacement

Powermatic PM2000 Caster Replacement

I am posting this in hopes that by sharing my experience, others will not have to resort to some of the extreme methods (imho) to swap out the casters on the PM2000. This is not to start a discussion about the failure itself. I love the saw, but I too am frustrated and disappointed with the castor failure issue and lack of support by Powermatic. Nuff said.

I discovered my wheels had fallen apart while sitting there. I found some of the wheel material under the saw when cleaning. I decided to go with a metal wheel in hopes of avoiding the replacement procedure again.

20230919_173404 (Small).jpg

I found these casters at Titan Casters - # W30-125-SS The wheels are 3" diameter with a 3/8 axle. I can't recall the width at the hub, but I think it is around 1 9/16" or so. The Titan casters were a perfect fit. Around $10 each.

https://titancasters.com/product/3-s...apacity-wheel/

IMG_5574 (Small).JPG

Basically, we are going to replace the wheels only and without lifting or tilting the saw.
    First things first, unplug the saw or at least the safety switch.

Open the big black dust door. Remove the dust hose (it’s a press on fit). Wear some knee pads or make yourself a nice cushy stack of foam or something. Oh, and fair warning – watch your head and your back when getting up.

The dust pan / bottom tray is held on place by 4 screws (10mm). Remove those. Now, the pan can be raised. Note that it is not removeable because the caster raising/lowering shaft goes through it. I was able to prop mine up inside the cavity without the need for any clamps, but you may want to clamp it or prop it up.
    You may need to clean things up before continuing. Mine was a bit dusty after 20+ years.

Now you will see the 4 casters. The axles are removed by removing the nut on the shaft. Note that the head is round, but it is keyed into the caster forks. It is quite frustrating to try and keep the axle from spinning while removing the lock nut! I used a 2x4 block to press the wheel against while spinning the lock nut. It is very hard to see and I could only get one arm in there. Patience!

20230919_173341 (Small).jpg

Oh, you might also raise the wheels enough to orient them at 45°, the lower them such that they don’t spin. That helps.
    The replacement wheels I ordered fit perfectly. I decided to use a 3/8 hex head bolt to I could hold it with a wrench when re-installing. I cut about 5/8” off of a 3” bolt. I used a washer on the outside of the forks (both sides).

Installing the new wheels is another adventure. A big tip – once the wheels casters have been raised all the way up, the caster body piece can be pushed up quite a bit (vertically). At first glance, it appears that there is not enough height to get the wheel back in, but when you push the wheel forks up, the whole thing raises another ½” or so. Now, wresting the wheels and the axle bolt with one hand is not a fun task. And the two closest to the door are pretty much done blindly. Again, lower the castors enough to keep them from spinning. Once I got the axle through the fork and into the wheel, I applied some lube to the smooth section of the bolt that was still sticking out. Once you get the lock nut started, you can use wrenches to tighten them just enough (9/16” in my case). I just kept tightening until the wheel spun freely but didn't wobble too much.

All ready to go for a spin! (sorry).
    IMG_5578 (Small).JPG

Hope this helps somebody. And I'm sure folks will use this and figure out things I didn't. Please post those ideas.

I don't move my saw much, but it sure is nice to be able to when needed. Looking at the caster setup and the low raising height, I'm amazed that I was able to move this beast from my garage to my shop by laying out 1/4 plywood sheets. Still not sure how I got it over the door sill!?!

Tony

Seems like a lot of extra work just not to lift the entire saw. I would tip it side to side and add shims until it sits on 4x4 or 6x6. In truth I would tip it on one shim on each side then switch to my toe jack. Then do all the work from below.
    Was the original axle ported for greasing? Those look like plain bearing wheels to me with lots of friction.
    Bill D

Very good write up of how you did the wheel change. Thank you for taking the time.

I move my PM2000 often in my tiny shop and the entire wheel system frustrated me even before wheel failure. It took way too many turns on the raising/lowering wheel and the amount of lift was a problem for a dirty floor. I solved the issue with a homemade base and 5" total locking casters that raised the saw table about 3/4" above factory height. I can now move my saw with one hand if the floor is free of chips and so on.
    Attached Images Attached Images