Thread: Incra Rulers/Mechanical Lead etc

Incra Rulers/Mechanical Lead etc

Wondering what type of .5mm "lead" others are using with their Incra products...I love the accuracy of the precisely cut holes, but can't find a brand/hardness of lead that doesn't break way too easily...even with a light touch. Thanks for sharing your experience!

I have switched to using 2mm lead in mechanical pencils. Nice thick lines, easy to see. I can not break the lead. For precise lines I add a razor cut or the scribe on a try square.
    Bill D

I'm pretty sure I'm using Pentel Super Hi-Polymer lead in my mechanical pencils; it's cheap on Amazon. You might also try changing pencils to one that doesn't cause as many breaks. I bought a Zebra mechanical pencil with "Del Guard" back in January (also via Amazon) and I don't think the lead is breaking anywhere near as often as it used to.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

I use Pentel 0.5mm "Hi Polymer HB Super"... 30 leads in the little plastic case. I bought them in bulk (lots cheaper) from either Amazon or Staples, a half dozen little cases.
    They do break if you press too hard ("hard" being subjective) but I like the thin line and have learned not to press too hard.
    I use them with my "red" rulers with all the little holes, and also when I freehand draw stuff.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

You are looking for an HB mechanical pencil refill.

Counter intuitively, you want a soft lead. Hard lead does not flex and will snap. Remember, you are putting the lead into a little hole that is not flush with the wood. As you move the Incra it will cause shear stress on the lead, a soft pencil will flex a tiny bit more.

The second reason is the soft lead will make a darker mark with less pressure. I think I moved to 2B before my Woodpecker's stopped snapping my pencils.

Also, try a .7mm, some devices let you, others won't. It's also a tighter fit, though, so more shear force.

And Pentel is a great brand. Will still snap but a bit less than other brands.

For day to day use I've settled on .9mm pencils, not suitable for rough work but doesn't break too easily when used for most tasks. Using .5mm leads I try to limit the amount of lead outside the pencil's mechanism. I don't have any Incra stuff so can't comment there.

Also get a Uni kuru toga it is a great little system that rotates the lead everytime it touches the paper(wood in our case).

I have a friend who has these Graph Gear mechanical pencils:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09H58JV6L/

They are very nice. He says he only uses the .7mm and .9mm pencils. The .3 and .5 are too breakable.

You can try "H" leads, they are in the middle of the hardness range. a light touch helps.